Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CEL, Wacky needle

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Default CEL, Wacky needle

My problem is with this 97 civic ex. This morning the CEL comes on and the speedometer needle starts jumping around like a geiger counter in the middle of North Korea. Also, the passenger window is not fuctioning, but other electrical systems seem to be fine. Driver side window works. Could this be related? I guess it is Code 17 - Speed sensor, but I haven't checked yet.

So what is the concensus? get a brand new speed sensor?

Thanks,
Nelly

Old 06-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Default RE: CEL, Wacky needle

I checked the codes, and what came up was codes 41, 65, and 2. They all regard the Oxygen sensor. I wasn't sure about code 2 because it didn't seem to apply to MY '97 civic. Why would these codes make the speedometer needle so jumpy?

Thanks,
Nelly

Old 06-14-2005, 04:34 PM
HCF Member

From your description I would say you may have an electrical issue. A bad connection somewhere. Think back and try to remember if you were doing anything with any part of the electrical system. Maybe some connector you had to disconnect when working on something else. Check all your ground wires especially the ones from the engine to the battery, alternator and the chassis of the vehicle. Clean out the battery posts and make sure you have good contact to all. The O2 trouble code may be an outcome of this bad connection, even if it is not the O2 connector itself. Your speedo meter is controls by an electrical connection and if your ground (reference) is jumping all over the place it will give the ECU false readings and make it through that code, as well as making that needle jump around. The same thing with the O2 sensor codes. Check that before you go replacing parts.

Old 06-16-2005, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. The mechanic thought that the alternator was the problem, so he replaced it. Problem was still there. He replaced the Speed Sensor. problem was still there, so I took it up to the Dealer. They determined that the number 15 fuse was out, and replaced it. test drove and everything seemed fine. They also flushed the transmission, accidentally. That was supposed to be for another car, but they flushed my tranny, no charge. Before I could pick up the car, they call back and say that they took it for another test drive, and the problem is back. Now the car is home. What the hell is going on. The three codes that came up were all related to the O2 sensor, but that was replaced earlier this year. Now what do I do, other than find a new mechanic? Where is a good mechanic around Pittsburgh?

Nelly

Old 06-16-2005, 09:29 PM
HCF Member

its possible that you just have a bad ground wire.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:31 PM

( sorry for my english , i mostly speak french )

i had a similar problem and found this solution ...just for the record ...My code was 17, 41and 65. The tach was not working and the engine was not running very well. I search on internet and found this solution :
There isa blus wire harness behind the support of catalityc converterthatis attached on the engine (uback and under the engine),the support goesthen attached again to the intake manifold . The wire of this harness touch this support and with time and friction and head the insulation of the wirewear off andshort with the support and causingmany trouble. I just cover the wire that was toutiching the support andi have no more code .

I hope this is clear ... thisis the best i can do