Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Manual transmission rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 09:02 PM
HCF Member
Default Manual transmission rebuild?

Heya folks-

Wondered if you all had any input on this. I have a 96 LX that I just recently picked up. Its been a great car so far, but I've noticed that the transmission (5spd car) makes a little bit of noise. Most noticable in first gear when the car is cold and most pronounced when coasting. SOunds like a bit of a growling noise or some such thing. I figured the car either had some worn input shaft bearing or a throwout bearing, but I didn't know how to tell the difference. I changed the oil in the trans to an Amsoil product that's fully synthetic and made to replace honda manual transmission fluid. I'm not kidding myself into thinking that this will solve the problem, but I figured it might slow down whatever wear is goin on in there. THe noise isn't that bad so I figure its good for another 10 or 20k before it pukes.

So this is going to be another one of those jobs when the trans needs to come out, that I dont feel like doing. How much do people usually get for dropping a trans in one of these cars? I can't imagine its that uncommon given that I'm sure people have clutch jobs done on them all the time. Also, what are your experiences with a price on having somebody go through one of these units? I noticed on ebay you can get a rebuilt unit for about 400 bux.

THanks in advance for the advice-

K

Old 03-02-2006, 12:27 AM
Default RE: Manual transmission rebuild?

I dont have the answer to your entire problem but this is what I do know. As its been told to me you can tell which bearing is gone simply by listening with the clutch depressed or not. If there is noise when the clutch is depressed its the throw out bearing if it makes noise (like mine) when your foot is not on the clutch then its the input bearing.