Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Civic 98 EX coup driver side window wont roll up ...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Default Civic 98 EX coup driver side window wont roll up ...?

The driver side window will not go up all the way. I think it has something to do with the rain because it was working fine until the other day when it was pooring outside.

Anyone have any idea what it may be, if it's an easy fix, and how I can do it?

Old 12-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Civic 98 EX coup driver side window wont roll up ...?

The problem is likely with the window regulator, although alternatively the window might be misaligned and binding in the front and lower channels (see picture). You will need to remove the door panel to determine the specific problem.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25538/24B8D87C92E64E9F99B09878ADB1A431.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-09-2007, 06:51 PM

i'm having the same problem except with my passenger side window. it was raining today and i rolled it down and there was like an inch space on the right side where it must have gone off track and the button wouldn't work anymore so my friend had to use his hands and force it back up and now i can hear wind coming through but no rain luckily. what would i need to replace and is that expensive to fix?

Old 12-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Steven T: In my original post, I failed to consider that you might have power windows. If so, another possibility is that you have a bad window motor.

ctakacs: Given the misaligned window, I suspect your problem is with the window regulator (see picture in previous post). The regulator is not too expensive (~$75), but labor of removing the door panel, regulator, and window will bump up the price.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:03 PM

oo okay thank you

Old 12-10-2007, 02:45 PM

I dont think it's the motor. Its the window keeps going off track... and THEN it stops rolling. As long as its on track the motor is sufficient. Like there's a 1 inch gap between the window and where it should be closest to the rear part of the panel. I have to use my hand to help slide it into the correct position.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Steven T

I dont think it's the motor. Its the window keeps going off track... and THEN it stops rolling. As long as its on track the motor is sufficient. Like there's a 1 inch gap between the window and where it should be closest to the rear part of the panel. I have to use my hand to help slide it into the correct position.
In this case, then the window regulator is also your prime suspect. Clearly, you would save money by doing the work yourself. Remove the door panel and underlying plastic cover to expose the internal door components (if you don't know how to do this, search the forum DIY or alternatively I could post instructions). If you are lucky, a careful inspection of the window regulator and channels might reveal that they are simply loose or misaligned.

Good luck.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:18 PM

Yah, its definitely some misalignment. I dont know how to remove the panel. I tried to ealier in the day. I try to search up the DIY. Love forums for all the help. Thank you so much.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Chubby Chaser

thats why i love manual windows lol.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:05 PM

had the same problem except it was my passenger window that came off the track and got stuck, this was such a pain since everytime the window slipped off the track i had to rip apart the whole door panel to fix it.. i finally fixed the problem permanently by using silicone lubricant spray... i just sprayed everything that the window rubs up against as it goes up and down including the window tracks and rubber moldings...

Quick Reply: Civic 98 EX coup driver side window wont roll up ...?