Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

civic consuming too much coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 11:04 PM
Exclamation civic consuming too much coolant

Hello everyone,

I have a 98 civic Lx manual transmission that has two problems. The first issue is that the a/c only works on the max level. The car has 4 settings for the a/c 1,2,3,4. When I turn the a/c to 1, I can hear the condenser fan starting, but no air comes out of the vents. When I turn the ac on 4, it works perfect but the car starts to overheat when it comes to a stop. I guess this is because the compressor is taking too much load with the ac at the max setting. I have drove the car long distances with the a/c on (on the highway of course) and it doesn't overheat because I'm traveling at 60mph and there's enough wind flowing through the the engine bay.
Any ideas on why the a/c only works on the max setting?

Aside from that, the second issue is that the car is consuming too much coolant. I replaced the radiator and radiator cap with an OEM one. Replaced the thermostat along with the rubber seal. At first I only filled up the radiator with tap water, but the water in the reservoir started boiling and the car overheated, I though I needed a new water pump. Then I drained the radiator and started putting Prestone 50/50 coolant in it. filled up the radiator, the reservoir and bleeded the system. Now the card does not overheat, but every time I take it for a spin (with the a/c OFF), the reservoir is empty, it's just consuming it. I did a valve job a few weeks back and replaced the head gasket, there's no leak under the car, there's no smoke coming out of the tail pipe, the oil is clean, and I even did a compression test to see if I had a bad head gasket, but I didn't found anything wrong. I just don't know where the coolant is going.

Any ideas/solution to these issues? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-22-2015, 10:57 PM

Nevemind the first issue. SOLVED!
Turns out it was the blower motor resistance located behind the glove box. I Hope this can of help to anyone with the same problem.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:47 PM
HCF Member

Good. I initially thought that there is a leak somewhere, causing the coolant to drain.