Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Civic cranks but wont start!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Question Civic cranks but wont start!!!!

I think I have a gremlin in my '95 CIVIC. One morning cranked but didn't want to start : Checked all 4 cylinders and had decent compression, sparks in all 4 plugs, all 4 injectors checked OK with light test, fuel pump humm when key is on and fuel reach the line, everything was checked and no luck other than an attempt when sprayed carb cleaner in air duct. Left it for a week and in one attempt to fix it I cranked it and turned on like nothing happened. Ran it for 3 weeks fine until I went on vacation. In my return it cranked but won't start.
Don't know what else to do!....Please help anyone.

Last edited by frankV; 10-20-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:15 AM
HCF Member

Frank,

I'm going to hypothesize that perhaps your fuel pump relay is faulty. One of the most prominent symptoms of a faulty bad fuel pump relay is the engine cranking up but not starting. This indicates a problem with the fuel delivery system and it may be that the fuel pump relay that is the culprit. Additionally, erratic functioning of the engine at the start and delay in starting up can be an indication of a faulty fuel pump relay.

Finally, a dead fuel pump relay will cause the fuel pump not to switch on at all. In your case it merely sounds as though the fuel pump relay may just be dying. Find the fuel pump relay located inside the cabin and inspect it to determine whether or not it's faulty. Let me know if you need any further assistance

*diagram courtesy of hondapartsnow.com; all rights reserved

Old 10-21-2011, 07:51 AM

Thank you so much for the input....
Which number in your diagram is the fuel pump relay?
Is there a way to test it or just buy a new one?
For what is worth, at all times I hear the fuel pump humming when I turn the key on, is that still a sign fuel relay at fault?

Let me know so i can run to the car and try it!!!

Last edited by frankV; 10-21-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:56 AM
HCF Member

I believe it would be 22 in that diagram. Check out this video for Main Relay information.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:57 AM
HCF Member

Is it trying to turn over at all?

I had a friend who let his '97 Civic sit for about 10 days and wouldn't start when he got back, he said it would just crank and crank. I got in and noticed it was trying to turn over every now and then so I laid on the starter and gave it a bit of gas and it rumbled to life.

Just a thought....

Old 10-23-2011, 05:40 AM

Pump (main) relay is not it. I bought one and does not start. Did a last attempt to figure out source by spaying carb cleaner into the intake chamber. If injectors open and spark fires and there is good timing it should crank and run for a sec or two....So I did and I as right...it prided up the cranking and held for 2 seconds. The problem is in the fuel system but since fuel pump activate with the key and there is fuel pressure from fuel filter to injectors I don't know what else could it be. It must be electrical since it already ran for 3 weeks(see original post)....any suggestions?

Old 10-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check if the fuel injectors are getting power. The yellow/black wire should have battery voltage all the time while cranking. Unplug one and put a light bulb into the plug (such as a #194 with the pins bent out). The bulb should flash while cranking.

Also disconnect the return line to verify the fuel pump is actually making enough pressure to open the regulator. Or check fuel pressure with a gauge.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:25 AM

What would be the normal fuel pressure when cracking engine?-