Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

clicking sound from front end

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Default clicking sound from front end

hey all, i'm new to this forum.
i have a question concerning a clicking sound.. i knows it's not a cv joint.have a 99 civic si w/ 48,000 miles. this car is babied..
the clicking occurs whenenver i let off the gas (down shifting also) or go from forward to reverse.. like backing into my driveway.. i hear one click like it's taking up slack somewhere.. but this just started happening within the past 1 months.. sometimes it doesn't make a noise.. it doesn't continuously click either.. just once from either side or both at the same time
it sounds like it's coming from the front spindles.
any ideas???? just very annoying..

thanks in advance

Old 04-21-2005, 03:18 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: clicking sound from front end

i hate to admit this, but this happened with me a long time ago, similar symptoms, drove me nuts till the tire went flat one day. found a screw with the head worn off in the tread, just a little bit up the side, where it would not contact all the time.
i doubt this is your situation, but hey lookin at your tires is free.

Old 04-21-2005, 05:56 PM

see, i dont' even have to move that far.. it sounds like something is taking the slack up somewhere.. but it didn't do this last fall.. i also have another set of wheels for it.. does the same thing..

thank you for your info..

i also had a 92 civic.. it did the same thing... i replaced upper ball joints(whole control arms) and axles.. made a difference.. didn't happen as often or as loud.. had the same click as i'm getting in this 99... the only other thing i could think of on the 92 would have been lower ball joints.. but they passed inpection and the guy that inspected it, couldn't find a problem..
it's very strange...

Old 04-21-2005, 06:11 PM
HCF Member

It happened to me and it turned out to be the motor mounts. They were the ones that take teh torque not the ones that hold the motor in place. I ended up getting some motor mount inserts by energy suspention and it solved the problem. The motor mounts are rediculiously expensive and made of rubber(this will happen again) while the inserts are polyurethane and fill in the gap of the rubber ones(will even work with worn mounts). They are like 40 bucks i think. Do a search for them on the web. By the way afterwards you feel a little more of the engine vibration inside, but it has a much better take off.

It could also be the CV spline inside the tranny (differential) but less likely than what was mentioned above.

Old 04-22-2005, 01:08 AM
Cat Fuсker

Motors mounts definitly. Put your car in gear(ignition off) open the hood and try rocking the car back and forth. You should be able to tell which mount you have to replace this way.