Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

"Clunk" sound while turning left

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 06:23 AM
HCF Member
Thumbs down "Clunk" sound while turning left

I recently had my brakes done and now the car makes a metallic "clunk" sound when making left turns at low speeds. I brought it back to the shop and they don't know what is causing it, but they did note that I need a RIGHT control arm as the bushing is worn. They couldn't guarantee me that replacing it would stop the sound.

First off, I'm worried that the car is unsafe. Second, it seems a bit convenient that the sound just started happening after I got it back from the shop. Any ideas?

The car absolutely doesn't do it when turning right and you can feel it "clunk" under your feet when it does make the noise. It makes the noise once when you turn and that's it.

Thanks, I just loooooove this car!

Old 11-27-2008, 09:31 AM

what work did u get done? just pads? rotors? both? anything else?

i'd first check to make sure everything is installed correctly and tight(pads, caliper bracket, caliper, lug nuts). take a look at the bad bushing, if its really worn then bolt in the bushing could be moving and causing the noise.

when you put new pads on a car, your supposed to break them in and u do this by doing a series of "stops". some of which require you to hit the brakes pretty hard at a fair rate of speed. if they did this test after they installed the brakes, it could have caused the already bad bushing to tear more and it's now clunking.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:09 AM
gwl
HCF Member

You can easily check the bushing. Just make sure that you safely jack your car. It will probably be the compliance bushing which is the front lower bushing mounted vertically. I just replaced my girlfriend's 2002 Civic which had the same problem.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:40 AM
HCF Member

They did the pads and I think cut the rotors. They also did an oil change and put in my thermostat.

Can I simply replace the bushing or do I need an entire control arm ($150)?

Old 11-30-2008, 02:03 PM
gwl
HCF Member

You can replace the bushing. It's a job with a sawall and a press. I was able to borrow some tools from Pep Boys that helped out a lot. You will need the standard ball joint/bushing installtion kit with the additional adapters. If you are able to borrow the tools, you won't need the press.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:46 PM
HCF Member

Update: Had them replace the bushing, $140 later no more thunking noise.

HOWEVER...the car now feels a little off when driving over 40-50 mph, almost as if it is unstable. Could the alignment been thrown off when they changed the bushing?

Old 02-18-2009, 09:02 PM

This is a really old thread but it's entirely relevant to my problem so I thought I'd just re-use this.

I have the same problem, except it's ALL THE TIME (turning left, turning right, braking, acceleration from standstill, going over bumpy roads and speed bumps).

It does sound like it's the bushing being worn out but I have yet to send it in to verify.

And yes to answer the question (tho I'm sure you'd have done so by now), changing the bushing will require a re-alignment.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:05 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Please start your own threads, and maybe link this thread if it's relevant.

Anywho, Kinobe, your issue sounds more like a bad CV joint. Just replace the whole axle.