Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Clutch Cruise controll issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Default Clutch Cruise controll issue

Hello Guys. i have a 1999 honda civic lx 120k on it. 3rd owner

basically im trying to get the cruise control to work.

i checked the fuses = all good.

light is on the button on the left.

i HAVE NOT check the the cables and buttons for continuity but i have a feeling its not that.

when i bought the car i realized the clutch DOES NOT have to be PRESSED in to turn on the car.

i do not have much history of the car services history but i believe the previous owner did tell the clutch was replaced. not 100%

i checked the switches near the pedals just visually i believe the accelerator switch is not making contact but if that was the case the car should STILL need to the clutch pressed in to turn on the car.

im sure they did some type of bypass on clutch switch or something of that sort.

where do you guys recommend i start?

Thank you in advance

btw the car is pretty much stock.

Last edited by ErSlickvic; 08-20-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:44 AM

just found a thread on how to bypass the clutch. ill be checking to see if it was done asap. and let u kno from there

Old 08-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The starter and cruise really aren't related, as there are two independent switches on the clutch pedal. The one at the top is supposed to disable the starter unless the pedal is pressed all the way down. The one closer to the bottom drops out the cruise when the pedal starts to go down, cruise is disabled unless the pedal stays all the way up. Make sure the button on the bottom switch is actually being pressed when the pedal is up. There is supposed to be a rubber pad in a hole in the pedal that presses the switch. It is common for those rubber pads to fall apart and then the switch doesn't get pressed.

The cruise actuator under the hood is vacuum powered, so it needs vacuum from the intake manifold. Make sure the vacuum hose is still connected. Also check that the output cable from the actuator is still attached to the throttle.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:58 PM

Was the car previously an AT? I believe additional wiring is needed for CC to continue to work after the swap.

My Teg was swapped, and the previous owner did a "hack job" to bypass the switch so I do not need to press the clutch down. I have turned the engine over in gear by accident and it is frightening although it doesnt move much with the ebrake up.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:44 PM

thanks mk 378. ill be check those as soon as i can and getting back to you guys

cvcr- the civic is originally manual.

but when i did check under the dash the cables did look tampered. ill let you guys kno how it goes when i can free up some time.

thanks alot guys. if you guys got any more advise feel free to keep them coming i check the forums everyday.

thanks