Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Window moving up and down by itself?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:03 PM
HCF Member
Default Window moving up and down by itself?!

What would cause this?

Its stuck, thought it was just off track, but after a three hour drive the stupid window kept trying to move up and down by itself, at least every 10 seconds?!

Granted, it only moved about a millimeter or two, but its stuck...gonna pull off the panel tomorrow to check it out, but would like ideas of things to look for -thanks!

Old 03-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Window moving up and down by itself?!

Is the motor moving it?

Old 03-27-2007, 09:18 AM
HCF Member

Sounds like a shorting switch to me.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:46 AM
HCF Member

Thanks...anybody know how to fix this?

Old 03-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: Forty04

Is the motor moving it?

Old 03-27-2007, 06:08 PM
HCF Member

I think the motor is trying to move it - I am not moving it, thats for sure.

I did pull the panel off today, problem is, I have no idea what the regulator looks like. Nothing look out of place, but then again, I don't really know what to look for (my Jeep doesnt even have real doors or windows so I have no experience working w/ power windows). I need to get my hands on a FSM, but until then maybe somebody can describe where the regulator is.

I'm worried its some electrical problem, b/c:

When I unplugged the pass side switch, the window stopped trying to move up and down by itself. However, the driver's side switch did not work for the pass side window either.

I hear NOTHING when I try to put down the pass side window w/ the driver's side control, and when I use the pass side control for the pass side window, it does that stupid spastic movement described above.

Think I'm gonna grab my girl's switch of her 97 HX and see if its the switch, if not, then guess I'll replace the regulator anyway b/c my window was slow to go up before this...

Old 03-28-2007, 07:24 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

If its a motor driven movement, then its gotta be something electrical. If its just hopping around when you hit bumps in the road, then I would say it's the regulator. This is what your regulator looks like, it is inside the door..

Old 03-28-2007, 04:33 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for the pic Forty04! Pics are always the best to figure out whats going on. Thats what I saw, I just didnt want to start pulling stuff if I wasnt sure what it was...

Definitely didn't bounce up and down over bumps, it would do it very randomly, even parked.

So I'm going to try the switch off the 97 this weekend and hope that that is it, and if thats still doesnt work I'll probably put the regulator in anyway since the window was slowing up anyway. I talked to an Acura mechanic and he said it could still be the regulator, if it was acting up it like I said it was.

thanks, I'll keep yall posted so if anyone else runs into this in the future you'll know

Old 03-29-2007, 06:37 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Cool man, I'm working on my DIY for that job as we speak, it might even be up before you start workin on yours.

Good luck!