Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

92 Civic Hatch Electrical Issues...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Default 92 Civic Hatch Electrical Issues...

92 Civic DX Hatch 5spd. The guy who had it before me hacked the wiring all up...high beams activate brake lights...running lights will NOT turn off unless battery cable is disconnected...kenwood headunit is hooked up to speakers and speakers WILL NOT work, unless ran thru a amp (which eventuually overheats) I just wana get my subs and kenwood working fine thru the regular speakers which r not blown and I want to get my break lights workin normal as well as the running lights...cluster seems to be ok, buut yet speedometer bounces all over and dash lights occasionally flip on for a couple minutes here and there..I'm so confused as to how someone cud intentionally make this so messed up. All fuses have been checked, and only thing I found helpful was wen the horn fuse was taken out running lights wud turn off... so idk if my best bet is to get a new wiring harness or wat I shud do but any help or ideas wud be greatly appreciated to this honda noob, thanks!

Old 08-17-2011, 03:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The "running lights" that won't turn off are probably actually the brake lights. Check the switch on the brake pedal, specifically there is a rubber pad on the pedal arm that presses the button on the switch to turn the lights out when the brakes are not applied. Very common for that pad to crack and fall out, then the button is never pressed, thus the brake lights are stuck on unless the fuse is removed or battery disconnected.

Interaction of seemingly unrelated stuff is often a bad ground. There is a cluster ground behind the cluster and also a general sensor / computer ground on the thermostat on the engine (near the starter).

Of course all bets are off if the wiring has been modified. I suggest you get a wiring diagram and restore the car to stock as much as possible. Remove the stereo equipment entirely until after you get all basic car functions working properly as stock.