Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Command start install... Cannot remote start unless parking lights are on

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:22 PM
HCF Member
Default Command start install... Cannot remote start unless parking lights are on

Hi all
I'm in the process of this very tedious install... Viper 5900
I got it to start via the remote. Sometimes it cranks for the full programmed time, most other times it doesn't. The parking lights flash during crank. If it cranks during a flash, it starts. If not, it cuts out as if a ground is missing or loose. I made sure my engine grounds are good, and the alarm is grounded well too.

If I put my parking lights on and attempt to start it, it will crank and start effortlessly.

I retained the clutch safety switch and connected the gear indicator selector safety switch wire to the e-brake for safety.

Coming from the relay... Green and purple interrupt the starter wire, orange is hooked up to white/red, red is hooked up to optional accessory spot above the fuses on the fuse box. Should the 8 gauge red wire be hooked up somewhere else? can it be hooked up to the same power source as the alarm brain???

Thanks for looking..

Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 AM
HCF Member

Alright so I've been messing around with this thing aaaaallll day.

I never wanted to know this much about command starts lol.

for whatever reason, parking lights are shorting out the command start. I don't know how. I want to find out whyyyy...

The parking lights blink as the command start engages. I disconnected them @ the alarm brain, and now it will start no problem. If anyone has any idea, that would be neat-o.