Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

condensor fan fuse keeps blowing

Old 06-29-2008, 04:58 PM
HCF Member
Default condensor fan fuse keeps blowing

my a/c wasn't cold and i saw that the condensor fan wasn't working. the fuse for the fan was blown. i changed it and a couple hours later it blew again. im guessing there is a short somewhere? but not sure how to check that and how can i tell if the relay is bad?

Old 06-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: comdensor fan fuse keeps blowing

I assume fuse 35 is blowing. You may have a bad condenser fan relay or compressor clutch relay. These relays are on the same circuit. My later post details how to test these two relays.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:37 PM
HCF Member

thanks. i looked through the manual b4 but i wasn't sure if the relays would make the fuse blow. my brother sed he'll come by tomorrow and check it. i dont have nething to check it with.

off topic: when you look at the manual can you search? tryna see if its just my adobe.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Could be the fan motor. See if you can spin it freely by hand (key OFF so it won't start by itself). If the fan is stiff to turn, it will draw excessive current and blow the fuse.

Also inspect the A/C harness that starts on the right fender and goes around the radiator then up to the condenser and compressor.

The compressor is also on that circuit, make sure the compressor wiring is not touching ground. Look at where the wire goes under the pulley to make sure it didn't get caught in the pulley and cut.

Use an ohm meter, the resistance from the compressor wire to ground should be 3 to 4 ohms. If less than 3 ohms the compressor coil is going bad.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: bigmikew1

thanks. i looked through the manual b4 but i wasn't sure if the relays would make the fuse blow. my brother sed he'll come by tomorrow and check it. i dont have nething to check it with.

off topic: when you look at the manual can you search? tryna see if its just my adobe.

You can search for key words in the manual (at least my version) using Adobe Reader.

mk also has some excellent ideas for troubleshooting.

Here's the relay information you'll need:

Name:  picture_1115.jpg
Views: 7775
Size:  121.5 KB

Name:  picture_1116.jpg
Views: 5309
Size:  32.8 KB

Old 06-29-2008, 06:32 PM
HCF Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY0U3r5jTGc

thats how the fan spins. is that free enough?

Old 06-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The condenser fan appears to spin freely.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Didn't watch the video but if the fan coasts around 1/2 a turn or more it should be fine. You don't want it to stop instantly when you quit pushing on it.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: condensor fan fuse keeps blowing

ORIGINAL: bigmikew1

my a/c wasn't cold and i saw that the condensor fan wasn't working. the fuse for the fan was blown. i changed it and a couple hours later it blew again. im guessing there is a short somewhere? but not sure how to check that and how can i tell if the relay is bad?
Before the new fuse blew, did the A/C work properly and provide cool air? Did the condenser fan run and the compressor clutch engage?

Old 06-30-2008, 05:57 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: condensor fan fuse keeps blowing

i haven't used it since last summer and it worked then

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: condensor fan fuse keeps blowing