Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

condensor fan fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:22 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: condensor fan fuse keeps blowing

So after you put a new fuse in, what happened during the 2 hours before it blew again?

Old 06-30-2008, 06:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It might be informative to insert a new fuse, push the A/C button, and observe whether the fan turns ON and the compressor clutch engages. What you see and hear could help focus your troubleshooting effort.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:35 AM
HCF Member

when i changed the fuse the fan turned on, clutch engaged, and the air was cold again. i thought it was good now so i just turned off the car and went bak inside. but when i was leaving out later i turned it on and didnt hear it engage so i checked the fuse again and saw it blew. im going to buy another fuse today and leave the a/c on and watch to see when the fuse blows.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Prior to inserting a new fuse 35 to test run the A/C, carefully inspect the wires highlighted red in the circuit diagram for damage (burnt or damaged wire insulation). Also inspect any associated electrical connectors for similar damage.

Name:  picture_1120-1.jpg
Views: 4713
Size:  62.7 KB

Old 06-30-2008, 07:25 PM
HCF Member

alright so far so good. changed the fuse ran it for 20 mins. then i did it again later. fuse still good and air is cold. im going to check the wires you higlighted in the morning RonJ. it started raining so i didn't do it yet.

OOO just remembered. at the end of last summer wenever i turned on the a/c the car would vibrate pretty hard. don't know if i should say hard but enuff to make things in the front rattle. does that tell you anything?

Old 06-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: bigmikew1

wenever i turned on the a/c the car would vibrate pretty hard. don't know if i should say hard but enuff to make things in the front rattle. does that tell you anything?
The shaking is probably an unrelated issue due to either a bad A/C motor mount or a low idle. Not much to worry about unless the shaking is severe.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:55 PM
HCF Member

ok checked the wires today didnt see anything wrong with them. the fuse still didnt blow. my brother didnt get a chance come over here today so he couldnt test the relay for me. do you think i should change it anyway?

Old 07-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: bigmikew1

ok checked the wires today didnt see anything wrong with them. the fuse still didnt blow. my brother didnt get a chance come over here today so he couldnt test the relay for me. do you think i should change it anyway?
The intermittent electrical short could be in the relays, fan, compressor clutch, or even a hidden wire. So at this point don't replace the relays or any other component unless they test bad or show visible damage that could cause the electrical short. Randomly replacing parts can be quite expensive.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Until it acts up again there isn't much you can do but drive with your fingers crossed and carry some spare fuses. It is very very unlikely that a bad relay is blowing the fuse. Probably a frayed wire or a component is drawing marginally too much current.

Also if the contacts in the fuse box have gotten hot (look for melted plastic) they may not always make good contact with the fuse. This can cause a fuse to overheat and blow even though the current in the circuit is normal.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:17 PM
HCF Member

i unplugged the condensor fan and the compressor clutch relays and some yellowish grease on them. should that be there?:

Quick Reply: condensor fan fuse keeps blowing