Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Coolant Temp gauge almost always at Cold, hardly moves.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:58 PM
Default Coolant Temp gauge almost always at Cold, hardly moves.

Hey people,

I am new here, but the site looks great. I actually don't own a Honda, but my friends do and I love these cars.
Anyhow, I have a 1995 Honda Civic EX 1.6 VTEC in question. The temperature gauge on the car is always at Cold. It barely moves even in
hours of driving in hot Southern California freeways. It does move a little over time though. I know the coolant circulates so I suspected the coolant temperature sensor, located near the thermostat housing. I replaced it with a brand new one after flushing the radiator and putting in new coolant. The gauge is still reading Cold after the engine gets at normal operating temperature (determined by me, not the gauge). What else could I try? Is there another sensor that might be the cause? Thanks for your help.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:32 AM
Default RE: Coolant Temp gauge almost always at Cold, hardly moves.

It's possible that the thermostat needs replacement. Sometime they fail open, and the car will not reach temperature because of the constantly circulating coolant. It's a cheap part and an easy replacement (although it would have been a good idea to do it when you drained the coolant). Replace it, I bet it fixes the problem....

Old 06-21-2007, 04:16 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Thermostat stuck open is most likely. Usually you can see it when you take the thermostat out. If it is the OEM type of thermostat with a rubber disk on the back end, also that disk can swell up and get jammed in the housing and cause eratic operation.

Should you change the thermostat and it still does it, the engine is probably running at normal temperature but the gauge is wrong. The sensor that drives the gauge is screwed into the end of the head underneath the distributor. It is the little one with a one-wire plug on it. The sensor you replaced on the thermostat housing controls the fan but that does not determine the operating temperature.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:07 AM
gwl
HCF Member

Maybe your gauge is bad. I would check it with a temp gun.