Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

coolant temp sensor???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:59 AM
HCF Member
Default coolant temp sensor???

im still trying to fix my overheating problem and i have done alot of searches and read about this sensor and i dont think i have checked it yet cause i dont know where its at....i thought it was the fan switch on the thermo housing but im assuming its not.I have the check engine light on and i thought i read that someone had the same thing with the light and it was that sensor so thats why im trying to find where its at.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: coolant temp sensor???

I'd get the code read before you start pulling sensors

Old 07-06-2007, 10:17 AM
HCF Member

well they wanna charge 95 bucks to read codes and i really dont feel like paying that...even if i had the money which i dont they cant do anything till monday....i just heard it was an easy pasrt to get to but i cant find it,maybe cause im in retarded mode today i dont know.I just wanted to replace it and see if that helped.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It would be good to keep everything related to the same problem in the same thread so the responders can keep track. I think you said you have a Gen 5 / OBD I, which means you can read the codes yourself just by jumping the test plug and turning the key on, codes will flash out on the CEL. If it's an OBD II you can go to a typical discount parts store and they should do a quick scan for free (Remember though, they're trying to sell parts, not necessarily fix the problem), or you can buy a scanner for less than $100.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:40 AM
HCF Member

umm well i have a 98 dx so i dont think i can read them myself i dont know......yeah i know i should have kept these diff things in one thread but if i needed help with something diff then someone would just see the same ole thread and assume im talking about the same thing...i dont know but yeah i know i need to quit making so many.

im going right now to advance auto parts to see about the code....ill right back as soon as i find out which one it is....

Old 07-06-2007, 11:06 AM
HCF Member

ok so i had the auto parts store run thier test on it and this is what it printed up.....

engine coolant temp
circuit low input

Old 07-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

you're OBD2, you can definitely read them yourself. Or, take it to Autozone, they do free reads

Old 07-06-2007, 11:17 AM
HCF Member

yeah i had them do it....in my last post i put what came up and everything i just need to know where its at.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If you're running without a thermostat that code could be a result of that, and not a faulty sensor.

The sensor is screwed into the end of the cylinder head below the distributor. It's the one with two wires.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:45 PM
HCF Member

im not running without a thermo.....if my coolant temp sensor is bad would that be causing my overheating problems???

Quick Reply: coolant temp sensor???