Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

cranky bolt

Old 11-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Angry cranky bolt

I'm trying to change my timing belt but cannot get the crankshaft bolt loose I have a impact gun but it will not break loose, has anyone had the same problem and if so what did you do to resolve it

Old 11-23-2012, 07:46 PM
HCF Member

I actually just went through this same problem last month changing my timing belt on 97 civic lx. I first bought the special honda crank pulley tool and tried that with a breaker bar but had no luck. Then i went out and bought an electric impact gun, (* i dont have air compressor and cost was more effective) or so i thought, electric impact gun did nothing to loosen the bolt. What i finally wound up doing was having car up on jack stands i took the dust cover off the lower part of my transmission and wedged a screwdriver in the upper backside closest to the fire wall, then i set up a jack stand next the driver side hub inline with the crank bolt, and put a breaker bar with a long extension so it was propped up by the jack stand (i wish now that i had taken pics because i realize this has been a problem for alot of people.) Anyways with a long metal pipe on the breaker bar it came off on the first (actually second, be sure the screw driver or whatever you use to jam the fly wheel is in a good position or it will just pop out) but mostly my advice is keep wrenching on it, it will eventually come off, just takes some determination and help from a few friends sometimes.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:06 AM
HCF Member

Have a shop loosen the bolt. Tighten it back up a bit and give the guy a pack of cigarette. Drive home and do the rest of the work yourself.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:15 PM
HCF Member
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by axis11
Have a shop loosen the bolt. Tighten it back up a bit and give the guy a pack of cigarette. Drive home and do the rest of the work yourself.
I would not suggest driving with that bolt not torqued down. Anything less and it will spin it self out VERY quickly and cause alot of damage to you motor and chassis. Also i do not know of any legit mechanic that will loosen that bolt and then let you drive off. I hope someone else will chime in on this as well, seems like very bad advice to be handing out.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:58 PM

I did what you suggested take the inspection plate off and hold the flywheel with a pry bar. My son had to stand on the breaker bar to break the bolt free. It work perfectly, Thank You for your help

Old 11-25-2012, 12:42 PM
HCF Member
Talking

Originally Posted by hank02
I did what you suggested take the inspection plate off and hold the flywheel with a pry bar. My son had to stand on the breaker bar to break the bolt free. It work perfectly, Thank You for your help
Way to go man, glad i could help..... and having kids around to help FTW!!!!!

Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 PM
HCF Member

Right now I'm trying to take this bolt off with the block out of the car... not a fun experience lol.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:28 AM

^^I had to do the same with the H22. Ended up laying the motor on it's side and using cheater bars with a buddy to pop it free.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:35 PM
HCF Member

^^yea i dont know what i would do if the motor was out of the car, havnt had to go down that road yet.