Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CRX AC recharge question

Old 05-31-2008, 01:43 PM
HCF Member
Default CRX AC recharge question

Alright,

So my buddys CRX has AC but it doesn't blow cold at all. And im guessing cause its low on refridgerent. Now i know that it used that r12 stuff, bad for the oz bla bla bla...any ways the guy at autozone was like get that taken out, then put these retrofits on and then fill with this oil and this r134a freon.

so he bought all that crap for like 50 bux or what not and nothing fit on the pipes.

so we took it back

what do you think he should do? go to a AC speciallist and have them fill it up with R12? or just do the conversion?

any suggestions or experience on this?

Old 05-31-2008, 01:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: CRX AC recharge question

Has anyone tested the system with R12 manifold gauges to verify that the refrigerant level is actually low? There are other possible reasons for non-functioning A/C.

If the refrigerant is indeed low, then I'd recommend going forward with the conversion. Find out whether AutoZone has a different conversion kit that may work or try another auto parts store. By the way, it is possible that the system needs to be evacuated to remove water from the system.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:27 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: CRX AC recharge question

ORIGINAL: RonJ

Has anyone tested the system with R12 manifold gauges to verify that the refrigerant level is actually low? There are other possible reasons for non-functioning A/C.

If the refrigerant is indeed low, then I'd recommend going forward with the conversion. Find out whether AutoZone has a different conversion kit that may work or try another auto parts store. By the way, it is possible that the system needs to be evacuated to remove water from the system.
Alright..ill look into that. ill go through the hayne's AC troubleshooting with it. if not ill check back with autozone or napa.