Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dash, headlights, and SRS flickering

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Default Dash, headlights, and SRS flickering

I have a 98 Civic EX and for the past few years I've dealt with an intermittent problem. Completely randomly, while I'm driving, all of the electrical system will flicker. This includes the SRS light coming on for a while when the flicker is really bad. After a while, the problem magically disappears. However, I'm noticing that it is happening more and more and for longer times as the car ages.

Should I just get the alternator replaced, or is there a known side issue that might be causing this?

Thanks,
Carl

Old 03-25-2007, 12:49 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Dash, headlights, and SRS flickering

does your gauge cluster area flicker or all of your lights? It may be a loose conection somewhere. If it is a problem that happens mostly with lights or allot of assories on your alternator could be going out becuase it can not charge under a load. You can have your alternator checked or quickly check it your self if you have a Digital Multimeter.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-25-2007, 12:14 PM

mrkbnt,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, it is EVERYTHING electrical that flickers. The dome light (if I turn it on), the headlights, the power windows (if I try to roll the up/down during these incidents).

I've thought about hooking up a multimeter to the alternator, but I'm not sure which leads to connect to, and how to go about hooking a meter up for when the engine is running.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-25-2007, 09:16 PM
HCF Member

Well, really all your doing is seeing if the voltage output is decent. You want to see something in the range of 14.5 Volts. What you do is get a multimeter, anybrand will do, you just need something to can read DCV. Direct current voltage. Basically for just reading a plain 12 volt autmotive system. Then just turn it on and hook up the black lead to the negative terminal of your battery. And the red lead to the positive. while the engine is running, look to see what the volts are. Check for them at idle, with all loads on that you can turn on (lights, A/C) and then check the voltage with the higher engine rpm's between 2,000 and 2,500 rpms. If it is pretty close to 14.5 volts, then your alternator is probably not your problem. If it is lower, some is acceptable, but anything below 13.5 volts I would toss the alternator. Usually when you test it you get a straight yes or no on if it is bad. It is a little more complicated to test for amperage and I would recomend taking it somehwere for that. If you pull off the alternator you can bring it to a shucks or napa and they can bench test it for you.

i hope this helps. I would have to say, your symptoms sound like a loose connection. I am not sure where, maybee a moduale or computer, but then again it is hard to justify without being there and seeing it. It is allways best ot do the most simple diagnostic first, and the alternator is pretty easy to diagnose so I would say start with that.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-25-2007, 10:05 PM

I had some time today, so I just went ahead and replaced the alternator. Seems to have fixed the problem. I hope! I'm kicking myself for not just doing this a few years ago when the problems started.

Thanks for your help mrkbnt!