Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dash light/taillight fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Default Dash light/taillight fuse keeps blowing

One night I was driving home and my dash and tail lights went out. I checked the fuse and it was blown, so I installed a new one (10A). Long story short, every fuse I put in blows, even a 30A one I tried just for kicks. Im guessinbg it would be a short, but I dont want to pull my car apart just to find out, so Im asking you brilliant people if there are any obvious things to check first. Thanks!

Old 05-28-2011, 04:06 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If you have an aftermarket radio, check there first. The circuit goes to one of the wires for the stock radio to light up the front.

NEVER put in larger fuses.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:55 PM
HCF Member

Like Mk said. Check the wiring for the radio if you have an aftermarket one installed.
I believe its a Orange/white colored wire which is the "dimmer" wire. if that grounds out to the chassis it will blow the fuse.
I think on most aftermarket radios you just cap off that wire coming from the harness. because the "brightness" for the radio is usually controlled by a setting in the radio itself, which makes that wire useless.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:29 PM

Yeah, I messed around with the wiring and it works now. And dont worry, I only put the fuse in to see if it would work, I wasnt going to leave it in even if it did help. But ever since this minor problem occurred, now my car wont start. It just clicks like the battery is dead, even though it isnt

Old 05-29-2011, 03:59 AM
Recognized HCF Member

When you hear a click from the starter but it doesn't turn, it could be a lack of power (dead battery or bad power or ground connection), worn out starter, or seized engine. To check the power turn on the headlights and try to start. If they go out there is not enough power from the battery. If they stay up bright it is probably the starter.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:33 AM

Yeah, I know its not the battery because my stereo still plays and my interior lights dont dim. But the odd thing is is that the clicking doesnt come from the starter, it comes from under the dash on the drivers side

Old 05-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

That's normal if it's a manual, it's either the main relay or starter interlock relay (won't allow starting unless clutch pedal is pushed down). Go under the hood and jump the starter and see if it turns. To jump starter unplug the small wire and jump from battery + to small wire terminal on starter. Make sure the car is in neutral and the brake set, and stand to the side so it won't run over you if it moves by accident.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:15 PM

Thats what I thought, thanks! I dont know if Im gonna bother fixing whats broken on the car simply because theres so much wrong with it that its not worth trying to fix it all.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It's worth fixing that problem even if you're just going to sell the car. A car that starts is worth considerably more than one that doesn't.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:58 AM

I dont care, Ive had enough of trying to fix all the little things. I dont want to put any more money/time into it

Quick Reply: Dash light/taillight fuse keeps blowing