Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dash Lights won't come on '93 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Default Dash Lights won't come on '93 Civic

So, it has been over a year now that i have had this problem. One night I noticed that my dash lights went out. Nothing was lit up. No instrument panel, no radio lights, nothing lighting up around my heat and A/C *****. When I would mess with the dimmer they would flash off and on. This eventually didn't help anymore. But hitting the dimmer would make them pop back on for a while. Now, my lights hardly come on at all. Occasionally they will flash on for 30 sec or so. The most annoying part of it all for me though, is that about 2 months ago, my radio also decided it did not want to turn on. I know that my radio is still good because the lights will constantly flash off and on. And to top it all off, my radio actually came on today! What a shocker.

In addition, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but for several months now, I noticed my battery light coming on, well flashing on and off. I don't think it is my battery because it is only 2 years old. I noticed the flashing battery light would get worse if I was doing more city driving and/or I had my A/C on.

Any suggestions? Help would be gladly accepted! Thanks!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:52 PM

Same problem with me Running lights and dash boards lights are not working. My headlights and tail lights working but dash lights are not .

Old 09-28-2012, 05:56 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Amanda, sounds like you need to replace the dimmer control. The lights in the radio are a separate circuit from the actual radio electronics, so that doesn't have any relation to the radio not playing. If it doesn't play it is probably a bad radio. The "battery" light is actually controlled by the alternator and indicates a problem with it, not the battery. (With the alternator not working, the battery will run down since it isn't being recharged) Start by checking if the alternator belt is tight. If the engine slows down abnormally so it is about to stall, it is normal for the battery and oil lights to flicker on.

Pintino, start by checking the fuses. On 1992-95 models the dash lights, tail lights, and front corner lights are all on the same fuse. If the lights on the outside of the car work, check your dimmer by bypassing it. Pry the dimmer control out of the dash and unplug it, then jumper the solid red wire to the solid black wire in the plug. That should make the dash lights come on full bright when you turn the light switch on. If they do, replace the dimmer control. If you just acquired the car it is not uncommon to find every dash light bulb has been burnt out by the previous owner running them for years at full brightness.

Last edited by mk378; 09-28-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:21 PM

Thanks mk378 for the tip. I was afraid it might be the alternator. I have had it tested a couple times and they keep saying it still has some life left. How difficult is it to change the alternator? and about how much if a mechanic does it?
Oh yea, one of my headlights kept going out and now they are both out... only the brights will turn on.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Almost certainly it's the headlight bulbs. They have two separate filaments for normal (dim) and bright, and since the dim one is on most of the time it burns out first then only bright works.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:02 PM
HCF Member

with the dimmer control dont be a **** like me and find one at a junk yard and tell em this is what you want. they charged me 5 bucks(wasnt even my interior color). dude probably put in in his pocket. found a gray one later on, put it in my pocket and walked out like a boss!