Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Reverse feels like parking brake is on

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 05:36 PM
Default Reverse feels like parking brake is on

I just bought a "96 civic ex with a 5 speed manual transmission. When I put it into reverse, it feels almost as if the brake is on. It doesn't sound great either, but I have to replace the brake pads and rotors so I can't really tell what sound is what. It will revers, but I have to give it a good amount of gas and shakes a bit. Can anybody tell me what the problem is and if it's something I can fix myself?

Old 01-12-2018, 03:21 PM
HCF Member

Sorry no one replied to your question right away. I've noticed that this forum does not really have a great deal of participation from its members. It does sound like it's something going on with your rear brakes. maybe a broken return spring or a broken hold down spring for a shoe that would allow the shoe to **** and lock up when going in reverse, but would be fine when going forward. You're going to have to jack up the rear of the car and take off the tires and then the brake drums to inspect the shoes and all the springs and hold downs. If the rear drums have never been off, you may have to remove 2 screws on each drum that holds them on. Get yourself a Civic repair manual. That will tell you the procedure for the rear brake work you may need to do. Good luck.
Duane
Also check out youtube for civic rear brake shoe replacement. Then you can see how they work and what to look for, and then possibly throw some new shoes on your ride.

Last edited by Duane4238; 01-12-2018 at 03:25 PM. Reason: addition