Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Del Sol Frame Rust...Fatal?

Old 12-23-2012, 05:31 AM
Default Del Sol Frame Rust...Fatal?

1993 Del Sol S1, 225K miles, runs great

The mount for the driver side trailing arm is all rusted out.
Del Sol Frame Rust...Fatal?-img_7596.jpg

Del Sol Frame Rust...Fatal?-img_7597.jpg

Del Sol Frame Rust...Fatal?-img_7599.jpg

This is the passenger side...still intact.
Del Sol Frame Rust...Fatal?-img_7600.jpg

Del Sol Frame Rust...Fatal?-img_7601.jpg

Any ideas for if/how to patch this? Just looking for an inspection sticker...

Does anyone know what part is? It is one of the few body structure parts listed as available on the Majestic Honda web site. I don't see anything on the frame that looks like an outrigger other than the section that is rusted...

04659-SR2-300ZZ 008 001 PANEL SET, L. RR. FRAME OUTRIGGER

Thanks!

Old 12-24-2012, 08:23 AM

Friend... I hate to say it, but that's some tough luck on rust. If you want to go to the trouble of repairing it, you might try finding a donor car and cutting that part of the frame off, then do some welding. That replacement part might be the correct one, though I'm not sure of the terminology.

If the car itself runs great, it might be much less trouble to just find a donor car with less rust and no drivetrain, then swap the engine and transmission over. Might be safer too.

The problem with rust is that you never know how bad it is until you start tearing into it. You might remove that section of frame just to find out that the rust has spread to the inside of the rail.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 AM

Yup...I can't see any way to repair that rust.

As you suggest, I'd need a donor car, which for a del sol are nearly impossible to find in Vermont.

Has anyone ever removed that frame mount from a junk vehicle? Seems like my only hope is to find one that someone has parted out...

Other than that, if anyone is interested in this vehicle, its probably for sale. The engine runs perfect and has a new reman distributor and tune-up, and also a new radiator this past summer. The whole front end is factory and all the body panels and roof are intact without rust (that I know of).

Thanks!