Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

No coolant fluid circulation.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Default No coolant fluid circulation.

I have a 93 civic that has almost no heat. I changed the thermostat and antifreeze but still no go. The bottom rad hose stays cold but the temp gauge is reading normal. The car does not overheat at all. Could this still be a water pump issue..

Hondanewfie

Old 01-10-2006, 05:11 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: No coolant fluid circulation.

how's the coolant level??

Old 01-10-2006, 06:44 PM
HCF Member

if it was the water pump it would overheat ---sounds like a clogged heater core--heater control valve not working

when the car is WARM & running--feel the heater hoses--to see if their the same temp. --if so--its not clogged[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 01-10-2006, 07:12 PM
HCF Member

it should overheat if the bottom hose doesnt heat up. did you install the thermo correctly? if it was that the pump stopped working, it would overheat pretty quickly. and make sure you top off the coolant for a few days. that should get most of the air out of the system.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:35 PM

The bottom hose doesn't heat up at all. I installed the thermostat the same way that it came out. With the round piece out towards the hose. Also it has a new rad with is not clogged and water can run throught the heater hoses when a hose is attached. If you take the rad cap off there is no movement of fluids what so ever. Also the coolant level is at the proper level and doesn't go down. I am at a loss. I think it can only be the water pump but it doesn't make sence that the car is not over heating.

Hondanewfie

Old 01-11-2006, 07:29 PM

I think you might have air in your coolant system. I also had a coolant problem here recently, and on some occasions I would lose interior heat for a little while. Try running your engine with the radiator cap off and wait until both the upper and lower radiator hoses are hot to the touch. This may take a half hour or more. Your thermostat should be open for sure then. Also make sure you have your heat turned to max but put the fan setting to off. Once the thermostat opens turn off the engine and let it cool and then fill the radiator and overflow tank to the correct level. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure whatelse it could be. Hope you figure it out.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:14 PM
HCF Member

when you replaced the thermostat you say you put it back just like it came out. i just replaced mine and it was actually installed incorrectly. did you get the rubber o-ring looking gasket too? the thermostat rests inside the rubber grommet, then sets in the housing. if you didn't put it in right it could act like a car with no thermostat at all. especially if you bought an inexpensive aftermarket one, there's not much to them compared to a Honda thermostat. constantly circulating way too much coolant and never really letting the engine get warmed up.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:21 PM

I put the thermostat in the right way. The impellor on the water pump was completly worn away. I installeda a new one and every thing is again right in the world. I also replaced the timing belt. Thanks for all the help.

Hondanewfie