Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Driver Side Windows Clicks and will not roll all the way up.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:17 AM
Default Driver Side Windows Clicks and will not roll all the way up.

Well, it appears that the late 90's model Civic have some issues with their d-side window assemblies or something. About a month ago my start clicking when it got toward the top of rolling it up. It is automatic so I just started helping it up at the with my hand. It has progressively gotten worse. Now it will only roll up to part of the way and there is about a 1 inch gap left open.

I took the door panel off and it appears the (what I guess is) the sector gear on the regulator. From looking at some exploded views of the door that is the best terminology I could come up with.

Basically the gear part that connects the motor gear is the issue. A few of the teeth on the gear are worn causing it to slip.

Does anyone know if I can just buy the sector gear or do I need to guy the while regulator arm?

thanks in advance!

.m.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:22 AM

Oh I was going to post a pic of the gear that is worn out. It's labeled #13 and you can see the gears on the bottom. Also does anyone know if I can replace this myself?

Old 10-15-2008, 06:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah, replace the entire regulator. It's a DIY job. The hardest part is taking off the door panel, which you have already succeeded in doing. The next question is why did the gear strip. You may want to spray some silicone lubricant into the rubber side channels for the window to prevent this from recurring.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It's all riveted together. You buy the whole part #1 or #3 as a set. Note of course they are different (mirror image parts) between the two sides of the car. The driver's side is usually more of a problem because it gets opened and closed a lot more.

When putting the motor on, make sure the motor gear is fully engaged to the sector gear. You don't want it running just on the tips of the sector gear teeth, the tips will strip off. The motor gear is hardened steel so it should not be worn or stripped compared to the soft stamped sector gear, but inspect it. Finally, apply grease to the gears.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:16 AM
Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply guys... It's sometimes hard to tell looking at the exploded views to figure out what is what.

The site I got the picture from labels this parts as a (pt # 72275-S03-G01 - CHANNEL, L. FR. DOOR RUN) I guess the whole part would be #13, right?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=DOOR+WINDOW

I've never ordered from this site before. Anyone point me to someone they have used or would recommend? or do you think I could get it local at a Napa or something like that?

Last edited by roadkillshake; 10-15-2008 at 07:19 AM. Reason: bah, forgot link.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by roadkillshake
Thanks for the reply guys... It's sometimes hard to tell looking at the exploded views to figure out what is what.

The site I got the picture from labels this parts as a (pt # 72275-S03-G01 - CHANNEL, L. FR. DOOR RUN) I guess the whole part would be #13, right?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=DOOR+WINDOW

I've never ordered from this site before. Anyone point me to someone they have used or would recommend? or do you think I could get it local at a Napa or something like that?
Yes, you need part #13 for the driver's door. I highly recommend the online site (Majestic) you have already found. Be sure to enter your Civic's VIN in order to ensure that you order the correct part.

Last edited by RonJ; 10-15-2008 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:49 AM
HCF Member

i had the same problem, now my car is shop getting fixed, my window won't go up. LOL i have no time to do a diy

Old 10-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Default Awesome

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have a few other things not working on the car and found the answers here. This is a great site with some knowledgeable help.

thanks,

.m.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:53 AM

ive got the same problem on my civic ex 1997. Im contemplating whether or not to do it myself or take it....anyone know about how much it costs to take it in?

Old 11-17-2008, 11:39 AM

I ended up getting the part off of ebay for about $27 - $37 shipped (aftermarket brand). Took me about 45 minutes to replace. was very simple and I am not a mechanic by no means. If you have any abilities to repair things then it should be easy for you as well.

I would think it would be at least a couple hundred if you took it to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Driver Side Windows Clicks and will not roll all the way up.