Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

drivers door manually locked and perhaps broken?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Default drivers door manually locked and perhaps broken?

Hey everyone, this is my first post about my new honda civic! I just got a 2003 honda civic 2 DR coupe si and i gotta say i love it!. But im having some problems with my door rite now and before I go ripping apart my door too see whats going on Id like some feedback.

Okay for starters when I bought the car I received a master and valet key and 2 remote keyless entries; the master key works fine in the ignition but both master and valet cannot open doors or trunks...which leads me to believe that the previous owners changed the ignition and for some reason never gave me the original keys for the door and trunk. which leaves me relying on the remote keyless entry to open and close the doors.

So what happened was that my car battery was dead and I was parked in parking lot at work and had to go start my shift. I realized I couldnt electronically lock my door with the remote entry so I locked the passenger door from the inside and then went to the driver side and manually pushed the latch (not the button at the top of the door but the actual locking latch clip at the end of the door that locks to the car frame ). That was stupid of me because when I tried to shut the door, the door bounced back! it couldnt close because I already closed the latch. so i began trying to push the latch back up using some tools which may have messed up the latch. I finally realized that pulling on the outside handle is what releases the inside door lock and then I was able to at least close the door. So what do y'all think ? Is this is a simple fix? perhaps something inside the door is loose..hopefully I clarified the scenario enough.

Last edited by shanek17; 09-23-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:57 PM

Oh also, my remote keyless entry is having issues too, which may be caused by me messing with the drivers door, because the keyless entry was working fine up until I manually tried locking the driver door. could the door issues be the cause of the remote keyless entry to malfunction? Actually tonight I got the worst of it, I was at my car and I was pressing the unlock button which is on the driver side door, and I watched as the passenger side door unlocked and locked fine, but the driver side wouldnt budge. I wanted my car to be locked so I manually pushed the lock button on the driver side door and closed it and then both my doors were locked. I continually pressed the unlock button on my remote keyless entry and nothing happened.. i realized I was completely locked out of my car. Luckily an hour ago I went out and pressed it again and this time the doors unlocked but this is too sketchy, i need something more reliable, but perhaps someone can give me feedback on what the hecks goin on here!

in the mean time Im going to call a honda dealership and a keysmith and get some quotes on a key for the doors and trunk... i wonder if i can get a key just for the doors and trunk? or would they make me pay top dollar and get a chipped key that would work on ignition doors and trunk?

Last edited by shanek17; 09-23-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:18 PM
HCF Member

You have to pull up on the handle to manually lock the drivers side door on most newish Honda's. If the auto lock works fine I wouldn't think you did any damage.

Your remote could need a new battery, it may be on its way out. You can get a new one at Honda and they'll program it for you.

It would probably be cheaper if you just had the driver side changed to the ignition key. I'm not sure if I would trust a locksmith. They may just remove tumblers until your key works, making your car easier to break into with a random key. You would have to call around, it may be a dealer only thing though. I would get it fixed, if your battery dies your screwed.

The ignition prob went bad and was replaced with a salvaged unit and you didn't get the other set of keys.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The valet key is not supposed to open the trunk, that's the whole point of a valet key. You could have a locksmith make keys for the doors (which do not require chips, only the ignition on a 2001 or later does) and carry two keys, or optionally re-key the ignition so everything works on the same key.