Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Driving RPM's and Front License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:21 AM
HCF Member
Default Driving RPM's and Front License Plate Bracket

I just bought my first ever Honda Civic a couple of weeks ago and so far I'm very happy with it (although I can't get up my driveway when it snows!). It's a '98 LX Sedan 5 speed. I have three questions:

1) At what RPM should I be cruising at? I am used to driving a 4.0L Ford Ranger 5 speed. For instance, at 40 mph in third gear (which is where I drive my Ranger) the rpm's are at around 3000 which seems too high (based on sound mainly). If I shift into fourth, the rpm's go to about 2100 or 2200, but then I loose some power (obviously) going into hills. I use cruise control religiously and this causes my speed to reduce. Will it really make that much difference in say gas mileage between using third or fourth gear in this situation? Other speeds are similar. Should I just try and stay in the 2200 rpm range? I did notice that in fifth gear cruising at around 70 mph the rpm's are at around 3000, but it doesn't seem too high then.

2) I've noticed that at very low rpm's (like when first starting out sometimes, or if I fail to down shift when needed) I hear a very noticible sound that sounds like either the exhaust rattling (or something else underneath), or maybe even the transmission/drive trainmaking sounds as though something is going bad. I realize that you probably cannot tell me anything without hearing it, but maybe if it's a common "problem" you might know.

3) I had to install a front license plate bracket for Ohio. The dealer I got it from told me that I should also install the lower support bracket or else over time the plate would sag. On my car that is the only thing holding the entire thing on. I have two sets of holes on the bumber. The outer two (which do not line up with the holes in the bracket/plate) have threaded inserts in them. The inner two are just holes. Should the inner two holes also have threaded inserts in them for which the bracket/plate would bolt too? If so, then I wouldn't even need the bracket, just bolt the plate to the bumper, right?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Scott

Old 02-08-2007, 08:40 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Driving RPM's and Front License Plate Bracket

1. The manual tells you recommended shift points and cruise points. You have to disregard your ranger, totally different kind of engine. 3000 rpm is a good cruising speed. My dad has a 02' ex, and his car does seem a little loud at those rpms, but it's fine. These are high revving engines unlike your truck.

2. I have the same problem and would also like some input on it.

3. From what I know with my car, (98 dx), there are indeed 2 sets of holes on each side of the bumper. The inner holesline up with the license plate cut out, the outer do not. In some cases the outer holesmight line up who knows. I stripped a bolt head on mine so I had to drill the plate so I could use the outer hole. Anyway the insert for me is basically 2 threaded wholes with a common back that straddles the bumper cutout holesand barely protrude out so either hole can be used. If i'm understanding your writeup you don't have 2 threaded holes. The piece that the bumper screws into is not physically connected to the bumper. Unscrew your plate and the bracket will fall out if pushed. In terms of the lower bracket you should use it for extra support and that srews into (at least mine) a whole drilled into the lower plastic grill.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:34 AM
HCF Member

Thanks for the reply.

Even though 3000 rpm is a good cruising rpm, would I get better gas milage at the lower 2200 rpmthat I mentioned? Would it even be noticable?

Hopefully if I did it correctly, there should be a picture of the front bumper/license plate bracket attached. I got parts 3, 9, 23, and 24 from the dealer. What I did was, attached part 3 to the plastic grill like you said, then I inserted the license plate into the part 9. I then bolted the bracket/license plate assembly to the lower bracket (part 3). Now because the inner two holes on the bumper do not have threads in them, I just bolted the license plate to the top of the bracket (part 9) and the bolts just simply rest inside of the holes in the bumper. So the bracket/license plate assembly is only supported on the car by way of the lower bracket (part 3). Should there be threads in those inner two holes in the bumper that the bracket/license plate assembly bolt into?

[IMG]local://upfiles/18355/D78175F82D894999825B1B85E8088A7A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-08-2007, 12:16 PM
HCF Member

Go to this website. Look at the microfiche. Part #4 is what I'm talking about and both holes are threaded. I'll go home and check sinceI did not install the ones I bought yet. Almost positive they are though. You're picture doesn't show everyhting that this link does.

https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hond...omponent=B++46

I don't have cruise control so I don't really have too much experience with that. I also do not have a tachometer . If ur car can't handle the hills then you shouldn't be in 4th gear. It's obviously too high a gear for that situation. In those kinds of situations it seems like your best bet is to not use cruise control and go through the gears. Cruise control is best for high gear crusing, not that kind of stuff.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:44 PM
HCF Member

That's actually the exact site I got my picture from. I just cropped it to show the parts I used. I didn't even know what that part 4 was. I thought it went behind the bumper cover or something. I guess I'll try to get to my dealer to see if they can shed some light on the subject.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:15 AM

Hey I'm on my fourth civic rite now, it's an ek, I've had eg's and a crx also, and across the board for the best gas mileage keep it under 3k rpm. It sucks because there is not much power, but over a tank of gas you can notice a difference. Or just do what I do and BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF IT lol, it's a civic it will get great gas milage!!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 03:17 AM

Oh and winter tires are cheap, my 93 4-door used to be a winter machine, and I had the thing slammed, I jut bought some cheap snow tires. I think they were wheathermarks.