Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

DRL Dash indicator light on

Old 01-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Default DRL Dash indicator light on

This is on a 2007 Honda Civic EX.

I had "DRL" light up on my dash, and at the same time noticed one of the daytime running lights was out. OK, I'm no mechanic, but I put that together.

But the book says DRL means there is a problem in the wiring. So I checked the fuse. Pulled it, and no running lights either side.

I called my dealer's parts dept to see what bulb to get for the running lights. No clue.

Then I read in the book that the running lights are simply the high beams in a dimmed mode. So, to fix the running light, you actually replace the high beam. I confirmed that by testing the on/off and high beams, and it was obvious then. (I already said I'm no mechanic).

The separate fuse threw me off though, but I suppose that fuse is there for the electronics of the switching on of the DRLs, and the dimming mode. Cool.

So, I went in a got a 9005 bulb, and my DRLs are fine now.

I just put this here for others' help, because I did not find this discussed via googling. But, of course, this may be obvious to everyone else. I'm, uh, not a mechanic.