Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Electrical? Alternator, Iginition Switch, or Battery?

Old 01-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Default Electrical? Alternator, Iginition Switch, or Battery?

Day just keeps getting worse, Hoping someone can help me out.

I drove all day no problem, Turned my lights on and drove for about 20 minutes, Thought they looked dim, then pulled into the driveway at my house, the ABS light came on, and the battery light started flickering. I backed out of the Driveway so wife can get into the garage, then all the Gauges zeroed out. I swore a few times, shut the car off and made sure the belt was still on the Alternator. I went back outside about 30 minutes later and it Started, everything seemed normal. I drove around the block and only after about 2 minutes, the ABS light came on when I tapped my brakes, and stayed on. Parked in front of the house and then the Battery light came on. The gauges all went to zero again. Car was still running tho, I shut it off, and tried to start it again and the starter just clicked.

Hoping this is something simple, I just replaced the Rotors and Pads, Shocks and Struts, and put new winter tires on it in October.

Thanks in Advance,
Stuart

Old 01-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Slowly running out of voltage like that is almost always the alternator. The "battery" light is actually controlled by a self-test circuit in the alternator.

If you have a battery charger, hook it up and recharge the battery. You can then start the car and drive a few miles before it will run down again. Also it's bad for a battery to have it sitting around in a run down condition.

Last edited by mk378; 01-06-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:56 PM
HCF Member

Had something very similar just happened to mine. replaced the alternator a few months before, cause it seized up. then the abs, and battery light kept coming on and going off. finally they came on and never went off. battery was dead. the voltage regulator was bad on the new alt.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the charge the battery and drive tip, made it to my parents heated garage. Replaced the alternator with a remanufactured one ($175) and everything seems good now. Only issues was getting a Alternator for a 2002 Honda Civic SI Veloz, the sold me the wrong one and the one that fit was the one that Excluded SI's. Weird.

Thanks again, cheers

Old 01-09-2014, 05:14 AM
HCF Member

congrats on the fix! hope it stays that way. I had a mystery electrical that was solved by replacing the alternator. I've noticed that about every 6-7 yrs they go out. I'm not surprised that the after market part is mislabeled. I've run into similar problems.