Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine Flooding

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 08:10 AM
Default Engine Flooding

Hi Guys. I have a 1991 Civic base hatchback with a 1.5l FI 4cyl engine. I have just installed a junkyard engine that runs excellent going down the road. The problem is when I start it to drive a short distance-not up to operating temp. then try to restart it, it will only crank, but not start. It smells of fuel very strong when it is cranking. I have found that if I disconnect the fuel injectors then crank it , it will start until it burns all the excess fuel. When I plug the injectors back in, it will start sometimes, other times not. Then if I tow start it, it will fire, run rough then smooth out. I took the old fuel injectors out of my other engine and installed them in the new engine, which helped a little but did not fix the problem. I seem to have bright spark, and good compression. I have replaced the Main Relay, air cleaner and spark plugs. I commute for an hour each way and the car runs great, and in the morning after sitting all night it fires up every morning, but if I drive a short distance at lunch, then it may or may not restart after sitting for 3 hours. When it does start after sitting three hours sometimes it idles very high until it gets hot, sometimes it idles at normal RPM. The check engine light goes off when the fuel pump stops running after a couple of seconds. Before I start throwing parts at it, any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by smudge; 06-17-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:28 AM
HCF Member

base model is dual point injection. did you convert to mpfi? I'd like to hear details of this swap, it will help.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Default Engine flooding

The engine is a dual point FI now. When I got it from the junkyard it had been converted from a MPFI to a dual point injection. I have taken the IACV off and cleaned it-it was full of rusty sludge-and checked for vacuum leaks or any bad hoses(visually). Also have replaced the cap and rotor. Thanks for your interest.