Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine Stuttering-Idle Stall

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 06:05 PM
Default Engine Stuttering-Idle Stall

Hey Guys,

I've been having this problem with my civic for 2 months now.
When the car is in Drive it feels and sounds like the engine stutters when I step on the pedal. I have also noticed that there is an overall loss of power feel. I may using wrong terms. In other words, the car does not accelerate as fast as it did before it had this stuttering problem. I have to press the gas pedal for a longer time to achieve my desired speed.

Also,
When the car is in neutral the RPM's appear stable idling around 1000RPMs. Once I put it in drive the RPM's drop to 300 RPMS.

We have replaced the spark plug wires. Spark plugs have less than 10,000 miles.
Cleaned the throttle. COuld it be the IAC? We cleaned it, but the problem persists. We replaced it with a used IAC, but the problem persists.

Thank You guys, You all have helped me loads before.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:30 PM
HCF Member

replace your fuel filter also and check the fuel lines, even if the sparks are not very old it cannot hurt to check them, sometimes things just go bad or were never very good to begin with. Reset the ECU by taking out its fuse for a little while and then reset the ecu by running the car for 10 minutes with no electronics on. Not to say this is your problem either but i have even heard of ECUs going bad and not letting a car run well, just pointing out possibilities i can think of right now.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

A sudden decrease in performance like that could be because the timing belt skipped a tooth. Check the timing.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:46 AM

Thnaks guys for the help.
What does it mean if the car sounds fine and the RPM's are fine when the car is in neutral or park, but begins to exhibit the above mentioned symptoms when placed in drive?
Does that rule out the possibility of the fuel lines being damaged?
Does it mean that its not an electrical issue because then it would effect the idle all the time regardless of what gear its in?

Thank you guys!

Hello from LA!

Old 06-28-2012, 12:03 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Pigwatcher3
Thnaks guys for the help.
What does it mean if the car sounds fine and the RPM's are fine when the car is in neutral or park, but begins to exhibit the above mentioned symptoms when placed in drive?
Does that rule out the possibility of the fuel lines being damaged?
Does it mean that its not an electrical issue because then it would effect the idle all the time regardless of what gear its in?

Thank you guys!

Hello from LA!
I would rule out fuel probably. Does the problem happen if you gas it while in park or neutral?

Checking timing is a really good idea. Do that and resert the ecu and see whrre that gets you. Ceck conpression in each cylinder and recheck the spark plugs. Sounds like younare getting misfires but inwould think that would trigger a cel. Does your cel work on the start up check flash when you put the key in the on position?