Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ENGINE SWAP from VTEC to NON VTEC

Old 07-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Default ENGINE SWAP from VTEC to NON VTEC

Hello to everyone, I'm new here and hope somebody will answer my question. My question will look so funny but I'll ask anyway. I've got a 93 civic Ex with a VTEC engine on it (D16Z) but the engine gave up on me with a broken connecting rod and came out breaking the block.I've been looking for a VTEC engine to replace it but its really hard to look for one which is not abused so I ended buying a good 95 non VTEC engine (D15B) with a 75K mileage on it, so I installed everything together with the non VTEC wiring harness, since the engine is really fresh I'm not yet prepared to make it a mini-me right now. My question is THE CHECK ENGINE IS ALWAYS ON WITH A CODE 21 AND CODE 22 WHICH IS THE VTEC VALVE SOLENOID AND VTEC PRESSURE. I'm asking this cause I dont know how to make the CHECK ENGINE disappear and need my car inspected when it gets out on my garage.Please be specific on the answers cuase if you tell me about PINS I'm not gonna be sure where these are. THANKS and MORE POWER TO YOU'ALL

Old 07-22-2006, 10:06 PM
Default RE: ENGINE SWAP from VTEC to NON VTEC

i didnt think the d16 was VTEC to begin with? maybe im wrong, which is a good possiblity but who knows.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:07 AM
HCF Member

what state ?
what does the light have to do with the inspection?

Old 07-23-2006, 05:23 AM

actually my valve cover does not say VTEC but if you take the cover out you'll see its a VTEC and at the left side of the valve cover (back) you'll see a control solenoid and my check engine code is #21 and #22 so, is this not a VTEC? To the second question well, I'm from Dallas and if they see that there's a engine check they (inspection) ask to solve the problem first before they inspect.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:54 AM
HCF Member

Are you using the D15's ECU? It sounds lilke you still using the D16 ECU with a non vtec engine. So the computer will still look for vtec, and since its not hooked up, it will throw those codes.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:15 AM
HCF Member

^ exactly what he said, if you didnt get the P08 ecu for the d15b engine then it won't work properly, if your still using the p28 ecu that was for the D16Z6 then that would be the problem, my advie would just take the old head off of your D16z6 and do a mini-me swap, then you would solve the ecu issue, and get Vtec back, as well as bump the BHP

Old 07-23-2006, 04:08 PM

Well thanks for the advise, maybe I'll just look for a D15B7 ECU to replace my D16Z6 ECU cause its much easier to replace and I'll just save my D16Z6 head for future swap (MINI-ME). Thanks glada96EX and Fiirkan. How about that love_my_SI ?

Old 07-23-2006, 08:31 PM
HCF Member

huh - same state. and that is the reason that i asked. it may be different up in dallas, but here in austin there is no such restriction as for as the check engine light. there is a big, big rumor mill that floats around about the state inspection - especially since we now have the smog part of the inspection, as i think you do in dallas.
and that rumor mill is if you have a check engine light on - You cannot pass the inspection. Absolutely not true. And i went with my friend and he had a Nissan small truck, and it passed with the light on. they did not ask anything about the light. who in the world knows if the light is a malfunction, or if it is on and that sensor does not effect the test.
i do not believe that there is any restiction on the state's web site as you have stated.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:47 PM

I have a po8 ecu that I might let go cheap.
Littledogrc@aol.com