Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

fan won't come on, need step by step instructions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 07:47 AM

I am lost. The wire is ripped and the fan works, but when it was intact, the fan didn't work?

Try ebay if you just need the clip and a few inches of wiring if the current set-up is beyond repair. I would guess it would be about $10-$15 on eBay. Maybe cheaper if you have a junkyard around.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:50 PM
HCF Member

I am completely lost. I replaced the fan motor because it wasn't running when I ran it straight to the battery. Now, when I jump the switch with a paper clip, the fan comes on fine. Does that mean my fuse/relay are good, too?

I swapped the sensor out with a new one tonight and its still overheating. Getting pretty frustrated.

edit- I should mention that I put on a new plug via cvcrcr99's advice. So the plug is no longer an issue, either. Help me out here, guys.

Last edited by Shandles; 06-05-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Jump the switch so that you know (hope) that the fan runs all the time. Test drive and see if there is any overheating. If it still overheats with the fan running all the time, there was another problem all along.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:22 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Jump the switch so that you know (hope) that the fan runs all the time. Test drive and see if there is any overheating. If it still overheats with the fan running all the time, there was another problem all along.
I'll do that, just in case, and see what happens.

If I were to wire in a switch, how would I do that exactly? I would imagine that I would cut the plug off and extend both wires into the cabin to a switch. Where would I put the fuse? On the negative or positive wire? What should I then do about the exposed sensor?

Old 06-06-2013, 12:55 PM

I had a switch on my fan in the Civic because it wouldn't come on after the swap for some reason. Battery to switch, other side of switch to inline fuse, to fan. Other fan wire to ground.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:45 PM
HCF Member

couldn't I just lop off the plug and run those wires to a switch, thus utilizing the fuse and relay that are built into the car? I would just be completing the circuit with a manual switch rather than the sensor that doesn't seem to be working for whatever reason.

This is all just hypothetical still, because I have yet to return the part and get a replacement for the sensor... just in case I was sold a faulty part. Thats the only other thing I can think of at this point.