Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Front brake calipers sticking

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Default Front brake calipers sticking

I changed the two front calipers since they were old, dragging and had 150k miles on them. only problem is the new ones are dragging too. i noticed that the caliper pistons are NOT retracting / pulling back in when i let go of the brakes so they keep braking / pushing the pads on the disc. to get them to retract i have to open up the bleed screw and push the piston back in. but after 1~2 miles of driving and breaking the brakes start rubbing again, and when i check them, the piston is still sticking out and pushing the pads against the disc.

what pulls the caliper piston back in one you finish breaking? how can i fix this?

thanks in advance!

Old 09-18-2006, 04:37 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Front brake calipers sticking

id replace the calipers with new ones. and also dont forget to clean and grease up the sliders.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:39 PM

thanks for the fast reply finalimpact
they are new calipers, and i did grease up the sliders
what else can i do?

Old 09-18-2006, 07:53 PM
HCF Member

how bad are they dragging? a little bit of drag is normal. is it so bad to where the rotors are turning blue? or to the point where you need 2 hands to rotate the wheel with it off the ground?

Old 09-18-2006, 07:55 PM

that happened to me when I replaced my rear calipers with rebuilt ones. I'm not positive what the problem was and it's possible that it had something to do with the E-brake guts but I re-bled the heck out of the brakes and they stopped dragging. When I re-bled them I made sure to tighten the bleeder nut and pump the brakes, then loosen it and repeat. (not sure if that did the trick, but something did)

hope this helps, I'm having braking woes of my own right now.

btw Final, your avatar cracks me up every time I see it.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:51 PM

ORIGINAL: finalimpact

how bad are they dragging? a little bit of drag is normal. is it so bad to where the rotors are turning blue? or to the point where you need 2 hands to rotate the wheel with it off the ground?
its bad when its jacked up, i need two hands to rotate it... when it is loose enough for me to even rotate it. when it gets to that point, (and i obviously stop driving as soon as i can when it gets near this point) i can only drive 10~15mph and when i do find a place to stop, i let go of the accel. and i stop in 5~ feet.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:24 PM
HCF Member

Are you sure you got the right parts? Maybe the store screwed up.......? Do u have enough brake fluid in the resiv?

Old 09-18-2006, 10:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Pete

Are you sure you got the right parts? Maybe the store screwed up.......? Do u have enough brake fluid in the resiv?
i thought about that, since these pads worked for the older calipers, but i'm not sure if they were meant to work with these new calipers.
quick question, how car should the caliper piston retract? so that it is flush with the rest of the metal wall, or should it stick out an 1/8~1/16 of an inch. i ask because it does stick out that much, but when i open the bleed screw and push the piston back into the caliper it goes in (and the fluid comes out the screw)

thanks for all the fast replies!!

Old 09-18-2006, 11:04 PM
HCF Member

Any way you can post pics? Ive done TONS of honda brakes and never come close to a problem like this.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:59 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Pete

Any way you can post pics? Ive done TONS of honda brakes and never come close to a problem like this.
i have seen it a few times

on 2 occasion it was a bad brake line , it was collapsed.. on more occasions it has been the master cylinder push rod misadjusted ( too long ) this happens a lot when people install non factory master cylinders..

If it was dragging before you replaced the calipers than the problem is not the brake pads nor the new calipers you installed........have you replaced the brake master recently ??

also as adviced try bleeding the brakes again

Quick Reply: Front brake calipers sticking