Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Front Brakes on 06 Civic Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:19 AM
HCF Member
Default Front Brakes on 06 Civic Coupe

Well,now that I am getting close to 48,000miles it is time for me to tackle the front brakes.

Have any of you done them on an 06' and was it very difficult?

Whatare the best pads to buy? Should I use Semi-metalic or another pad? I am pretty easy on the brakes so I don't need any racing type product.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:45 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Front Brakes on 06 Civic Coupe

My 2000 EX didn't need front pads until after 80,000 miles. Since everyone's driving/braking habits are different as well as the amount of hwy vs city driving you do means there isn't a definite mileage that everyone will need new brakes. I recommend an inspection maybe every 10-12000 miles to know when you will be due for brake service. When it is time, I wouldrecommend ceramic pads (quiet and low dusting) vs semi-metallic (which are usually noisy).

Old 04-30-2008, 03:29 PM
HCF Member

I typically don't replace the brakes till I hear the classic metal on metal screach that you hear when you push the brake pedal. Usually the regular Duralast brakes that are at Autozone or O'Reilly work well enough for just regular driving. Replacing brakes are not that hard, but I've never done it on a Civic yet. My 96 Tacoma was pretty simple, just remember you have the right pads on the rotors. The pads are side-specific as to which side of the rotor they go on.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:25 PM
HCF Member

Replace them if you NEED to. I cannot imagine needing brakes at 48K Did someone tell you you need brakes or did you do an inspection yourself?
Are you racin that thing around town from stop light to stop light?

Old 05-01-2008, 06:18 AM
HCF Member

I drive in econo mode most of the time, so I rarely touch the brakes when I am going faster that 25 MPH. My brakes usually last100,000 miles or more. I just checked the pads on my old '95 Ford Contour with 99,000 miles, and they still look like they have half their life left. The new semi-metallic pads last a lot longer than the older asbestos ones did.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:15 PM
HCF Member

Well...that's not the only reason they quit making asbestos brakes...

Old 05-01-2008, 04:27 PM
HCF Member

I took the dusty brakes of my 07, at 500 miles, there no different than any other brake job I have done, I still have them if you want them I'm in Pa if you want them pay shipping and there yours.....B Guzz

Old 05-07-2008, 05:46 AM
HCF Member

Well, the dealer said that I needed brakes and would cost over $200.00 for the job.

I couldn't believe that knowing that I usually go 70,000 miles on brakes so I told him to hold off.

So I went and bought some brake pads for $20.00 and took the wheels off and there is one bolt at the bottom of the caliperto remove and then swing the caliper up and out of the way. When I took the brake pads out I noticed the one on the inside with the piston was really worn down and had less than 1/16 of an inch before it would be at the metal warning clip. I could have got another 5 - 10,000 miles or so out of them so I figured since they were apart I would put the new ones on.
The outside pad still had a good 1/4 inch of pad on it. It was like that on both sides.

They were easy to replace and since the rotor was still very smooth I didn't turn it. I will check them again at 90,000 miles and see how they are doing.

I just don't like the idea that the outside pads had hardly any wear on them.
Could that be the sign of a problem?

Old 05-07-2008, 06:30 AM
HCF Member

The piston side normally wears a little faster since it is the first pad to hit the rotor, but major differences in wear indicate the caliper is not "floating" properly. Thanks for the heads up on your problem, I will check my brake pad wear on my '06 when I reach 40,000 miles. Do you live in an area where you have to brake hard a lot, or have some other reason to explain the wear?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:43 AM
HCF Member

flyboy, did you make sure the caliper bolts were moving smoothly and if not, to grease them up so that they will. Uneven wear means that something in your front brakes amiss.

Quick Reply: Front Brakes on 06 Civic Coupe