Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

very strange squeaking sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:01 PM
HCF Member
Default very strange squeaking sound

ok my car recently has been having odd squeaking problems. sometimes it sounds like more of a rattling/squeaking, and other times its definately a squeak. It doesnt happen during any particular time like when im turning or braking or anything. Some days I can drive it all day long and rarely get the squeaking sound. Other times its just constant squeaking.

to describe the squeaking sound, its a quick squeak 2 times per second maybe? lol very hard to explain in words. but its not just a long constant squeak but more like squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak

could it be the brakes? I know when I had my civic it started squeaking similarly to this and it was just my brakes.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:27 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: very strange squeaking sound

Usually a squeak has something to do with the belts. Either one of your drive belts are loose and needs tightening or a pulley needs to be regreased. I just had my idler pulley replaced because of an annoying squeak

Old 01-17-2008, 05:54 PM
HCF Member

alright, if i take it to a shop will they be able to pretty easily let me know whats going on just from looking at it? It's been going on for a few weeks now, if I change my brakes and the squeaking doesnt go away, how urgent would it be that I get my belts checked out? could I go a few more weeks?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When it's squeaking, take your foot off the gas and push the clutch in. If the squeaking doesn't change it is not coming from the engine or the belts. Also if the belts are squeaky it's likely to squeak even when the engine is running but the car isn't moving.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:39 PM
HCF Member

alright im 100% positive it NEVER squeaks while I let the car idle.

Next time I'm driving I'll pay attention to the clutch thing you mentioned.. however off hand I think it goes both ways. Sometimes when its squeaking I'll drop it into neutral and sometimes it stops and sometimes it doesnt... I'll have to double check on that one though.

lets just say when its squeaking and I push the clutch in and there is no change, and it doesnt squeak when idling. what does that mean? brakes probably? hopefully...

my brakes are scheduled to get here Saturday

Old 01-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If you only hear the squeaking when the wheels are turning, then you may be hearing the metallic squeaking noise made by the brake pad wear indicator.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:50 PM
HCF Member

I already ordered new rotors and pads.... once I change these that should, in theory, fix the problem?

On my 2002 civic I used to have I had the same thing happen, squeaking sound while driving but not while idling, turns out I just needed new pads... the only difference was with the civic, the noise was definately louder than with my integra but we'll see what happens

Old 01-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes, if you are hearing the brake pad wear indicator, then the replacement pads will eliminate the squeaking noise.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes, probably the brakes. Next time you're driving try pressing the brake pedal very lightly and the squeaking should change or go away.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 PM
HCF Member

yea it usually goes away when I brake