Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

GRINDING NOISE

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Default GRINDING NOISE

Hey everyone...93 Civic. When I take off, the car makes a kinda grinding noise through the first 3 gears and then sounds normal in 4th and 5th. I have been told that its the throwout bearing, but now im told it may be the manual transaxle itself. I can't buy the part if i dont know what it is so could someone please help with this? Has anyone else had this kind of problem with their Civics? Thanks

Old 07-31-2006, 06:36 PM
Default RE: GRINDING NOISE

Does it only grind when you shift into a gear or does it grind through the entire accelaration?

Old 07-31-2006, 08:35 PM

just when i am in a gear

Old 07-31-2006, 10:44 PM

the same thing happened to me. but i ended up getting my transmission rebuilt cause my synchros, 3rd gear, 4th gear, and sliders were all bad. after the rebuild it stopped making that noise.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:07 AM

darn it...was afraid of that...how much do you think this will cost me? Should I just get a transaxle from a junkyard from a wrecked civic with lower mileage?

Old 08-01-2006, 05:14 AM

Does the grinding go away when you press on the clutch pedal?
If the synchros are bad, this noise probably will also come with shifting dificulty. Is it ever hard to get in and out of gear?

Old 08-01-2006, 12:00 PM

The rebuild for me costed $1230. The only problem with getting a transaxle from like the junkyard or where ever is that your risking that it might have the same problems. I was gonna buy a used transaxle off ebay for $300 and get it rebuilt and then installed in my car 'cause i figured it might be cheaper, but i figured for all its worth i should just drop my car off at the shop and let the pros deal with what i have now. $1230 isnt bad really for a transmission rebuild, a sport clutch install, and a new engine rear main seal. In the end Im happy with the decision i made, because for about 2 months i was driving around grinding 3rd, 4th and sometimes 5th gear, or having to double clutch those 3 gears in order to not grind. so it feels good having everything back to normal now i can go on with the process of trying to sell my car.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:25 PM

The grinding does seem to go away once the clutch is pushed in. However, if I am still moving and I put the car in 1st but keep the clutch in, it kinda makes a "growling" noise until the car is stopped. Hell, if it is going to take me 1300.00 to rebuild the darn thing, plus the problem with the A/C...maybe I should just get rid of it now while I am ahead...what do you think? It has 243,700 miles on it, but the engine runs great. I dont know what to do...I just dont have that kind of money to lay on the table. I work at Speedway of all places...lol.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:44 PM

Junkyarding is its own reward!
what better excuse for a tetnus shot?

You could probably find a whole 'new' 93 civic for near $1300. Personally I'd call up some friends, find a rear-ended car in a salvage yard, get the parts I need, and pay them all back with a few beers at the end of the day.. but whats it worth to YOU to keep that car?

Old 08-01-2006, 03:29 PM

243k is a nice long run for a car.
I think it's time to retire this one and get another vehicle with lower milage. Really, whatever this grinding noise problem is, once it's fixed your car and all of its 243,000 miles will just break somewhere else. It's cheaper just to spend the $1000-$2000 to get a lower milage used Civic than it is to commit to repairing this problem and all of the others that will inevitably arise.

Quick Reply: GRINDING NOISE