Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Growl / Roar from front end 05 Civic LX AT

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 11:01 AM
HCF Member
Default Growl / Roar from front end 05 Civic LX AT

2005 Civic LX with A/T. It's currently at around 98L miles and it makes a roaring / growling sound from the front wheels , (maybe the rear?) when going 25 mph and up. I got good new tires for it recently and it still does it. It doesn't change if coasting it in neutral. I can't tell if it is louder on one side vs the other or when making turns.
It's been doing it for many miles now and I think it's getting louder. Is the the wheel bearings, axle shafts or what? I looked through the factory shop manual and all the repairs look like I need special tools but I'm not sure where to start.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:23 PM
HCF Member

yeah sounds like wheel bearings you need a press to get new ones in.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:41 PM
HCF Member

I read through through the manual and replacing them on my own is too involved. How much should I expect a shop to charge to do the job?
I'm a bit pissed the bearings didn't last. I've two vehicles, one nearing 190K and the other over 216K with no bearing issues.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:59 PM
HCF Member

well i would first make sure it is definitely a bad wheel bearing before you go throwing money at it.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:36 PM
HCF Member

The method in the video looks easy to do. Still, if the bearings are bad, I'll still need a shop to do it.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:46 PM
HCF Member

I found time to check the bearings as shown in the video. Both sides seem to make noise but the driver's side seemed worse. I crawled under the car with jack stands supporting it with both wheels of the ground so I could listen to it from underneath. At that point it also seemed to make noise from the drivers side of the trans-axle but it was hard to be really sure because of all the engine noise. I also checked with the wheels removed and the noise quieted down, then with one wheel reinstalled and the other.
After about 20 minutes of checking I couldn't hear any noises.
I'm just going to take it a shop and let them deal with it. I'll just need to find a good shop in my area. I watched some videos on how to replace the bearings and while it doesn't seem too terribly hard, I don't blow a couple of weekends working on that.
Does anyone know of any good shops that specialize on Hondas in the Vancouver WA area?

Old 10-16-2015, 03:01 PM
HCF Member

a cheaper option would be to remove the hub assembly and take it to a shop to have it pressed in. or just buy brand new hub assembles and install them yourself.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 10-16-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:49 PM
HCF Member

On my way home this evening I dropped by and asked a shop owner I know how much he would charge if I took the car to him and he said $450 per side.
He might be OK with it if I just brought the knuckle to him.
Had I read your reply earlier I would have asked him.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:17 PM
HCF Member

jesus christ no 450 a side is a complete rip off never talk to this person again they are not your friend. is that just for bearings cuz thats fuked up? it would be at most an hour each side most shops charge $80-$90 dollars and hour. the bearings are like $25-30 dollars each for OEM parts.ive heard of overhead charges but thats just obscene unless these parts are made of solid gold.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 10-16-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:26 PM
HCF Member

The quote was if the hub also needed replacing. It might be a $100 less without it.

Quick Reply: Growl / Roar from front end 05 Civic LX AT