Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

hard to diagnose misfire in 97 civic ex

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Default hard to diagnose misfire in 97 civic ex

I have a 97 honda civic ex and have a difficult problem. As I was driving to work the other day, the CEL came on and the engine lost power. I was able to drive home, but the engine was stuttering. The next day I checked the codes and had 4. 301,302,303,1300: cylinder 1-3 misfire, plus random misfire. I changed the dist. cap, rotor, and spark plugs. I bought a new ignition coil, but after checking resistance with meter, found it to be 1 ohm (new coil was 1.2) so decided that coil was ok. Actually, I tried the new coil by itself first, before all of the other parts, but got the same result when driving. So, changed the plugs, cap, and rotor. At first, the car fired up instantly, but after driving about 3 miles, the same problem came back: car misfires, idles rough, but runs and drives, just no power and struggle on highway.

I also did the following to troubleshoot:

started car and revved to 3000 rpm. pulled sparked plug wire one at a time to see if anything changed. Just as expected, as each wire was pulled, rpm was reduced and car ran rough.

Next I did the same thing, but with the Fuel injector plugs, pulling one at a time to see if they were working. Same result...as each was pulled, rpm fell and engine ran rough.

Can anyone suggest anything? Car has 205K miles and I am afraid to spend any more money unless I know that it will fix it.