Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hard Starting of 93 DelSol S - very wierd

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Default RE: Hard Starting of 93 DelSol S - very wierd

through out the day on Saturday 8/20/05 I started the car, even started the car up until midnight on sunday morning.

Sunday all day it started just fine, took it to the kid's ballet school and started and ran fine.

Monday morning 8/22/2005, doesn't start. Taking the opportunity of having the car not start, I removed the dist cap and inspected the cap for anything obvious, nothing. Replaced the dist. rotor and put the cap back on.....NOTHING won't start.

I bet you anything, that this after noon it will start.

PUUUULLLLEEEEZZZ give me some sugestions of what is going on...It is not the coil (new), it is not the rotor (new)...next will be the ignitor.

Old 08-22-2005, 11:44 AM

Dude, make sure all your battery terminals don't have tons of corrosion on them and make sure both the positive and negative cables are real tight.

Old 08-22-2005, 12:45 PM

I 'll make sure, but logically it doesn't make sense that is a battery connection problem. The car's starter enggages just fine, turns the motor just fine, I just don't have spark when this is happening.

When is starts, the starter engages just fine, turns the motor just fine, AND do get spark, hence why it starts.

Any other suggestions?

I'll check the spark gap, but if that were the problem I would get spark on my spark tester.....when it is acting up it doesn't spark on the tester.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 08-23-2005, 12:58 PM

Mother F&^%&er!!!!

Monday evening the car turned over and started just fine numerous times during the late afternoon and evening.

Tuesday morning no f&*^ing way.

One piece I failed to mention that might be pertinent, is that I have an alarm system on the car...we don't use, and have it set for Valet 100% of the time.

I'm starting to wonder if there is a kill switch built in with the alarm...I'm going to yank the thing off this evening and see, at the very least disconnect the power lead to the unit.

ahhhhhhhhh

Old 08-23-2005, 08:15 PM
HCF Member

is the distributor cap dirty at all inside?

Old 08-23-2005, 08:17 PM
HCF Member

ive got it! hows the humidity? the distributor is getting moisture inside during the night when the moisture is condensing, and so it wont start in the AM. change the cap and the ignitor. unless its a wacky wiring issue, that should fix it. im 99% sure thats it, it explains the AM/PM thing better than wiring.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:12 AM

Thanks for the suggestion about the moisture....humid? ...you have no idea.

Any way that is not it...

On monday I took the cap off, no moisture, and wiped it down, also replaced the rotor while I had the cap off...no luck.

I didn't get the opportunity to disconnect the alarm, though.

This early AM (Wednesday), the mrs said it started fine for her to go to the gym....that was about 5:30 am.

Tuesday morning, when it wouldn't start, I played with the alarm system, following instructions to turn off the alarm.....no luck...but maybe what I did yesterday did something to the alarm to allow her to start the car yesterday afternoon as well as this morning.

I like the phrase "volumetric efficiency"...good one.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:31 PM
HCF Member

sometimes you cant see or even feel the moisture that kills an ignition. when mine went out, i pulled it apart and dryed it enough to get home (about 200 miles) then the next day it wouldnt start till i dryed it all out again. then i replaced the dizzy and it ran perfect for a couple of years. till i spun a rod bearing[:@]

Old 08-25-2005, 06:57 AM

car ran and started fine all day Wednesday.

Wednesday evening I disconnected the power and ground for the alarm. car started just fine.

Thursday morning, started the car, but was a little hesitant at first..after running for 1 minute, it started fine.

deductions:

1) the alarm's ignition kill circuit is not in play anymore.

2) quite possible moisture IS the culprit.

Facts:

1) Coolant is leaking from the upper radiator hose at the hose clamp.

2) Coolant is splahing onto the distributor cap while the car is running.

other deductions:

1) possible that the coolant is preventing the car from starting in the morning because of the moisture in the air and that fact that dist cap is a confined space. (but it looked dry when I took it off)

2) possible the coolant is not preventing the car from starting in the afternoon or after the car has been running because the cap area is hot enough to evaporate the coolant or any other moisture.

I will keep you all posted ....step1 fix the coolant leak, step2 NOT install ignitor just yet.

ahhhhh

Old 08-30-2005, 04:53 PM

My girlfriend's '95 Honda del sol has been sitting outside the last two months when she was on vacation. The car ran perfectly fine before she left it sitting in the parking lot. It never gave any trouble until now. We tried to start it a few days ago and it would not start! We went out and bought a brand new battery and it is still doing the same thing. I guess the engine turns over (like its on the verge of starting, all the belts move), but it does not start. I can smell the gas. The weather has been warm with some rain during those two months, i dont know if that has anything to do with it. What should I do? Is it not getting a spark? I am thinking about replacing the spark plugs, but I want an opinion before I do it. Please help! Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Hard Starting of 93 DelSol S - very wierd