Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Headlight mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Default Headlight mod

The car is a 2002 Civic EX, and belongs to a co-worker of my wife. Three times in the last year she has left her lights on accidentally, only to find a dead battery come morning. No surprise there! What I have offered to do is install a relay so that when the car on the lights are on; when the car is off teh light are off. This way she can no longer leave the lights on accidentally unless she leaves the car on accidentally!

I have done this on other family member cars for the same reason (VW Cabriolet, Nissan Altima, etc) but not a Honda Civic. Has anyone here performed such a modification? And if so, how did you go about it? I have access to a wiring diagram, but I'm looking for any pointers or suggestions from anyone that may have done this on their car.

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Old 11-14-2012, 05:43 AM

Never heard of that, just wire them to an ignition source I guess.

There isnt a buzzer or annoyting chiming noise that starts when the lights are on and the key isnt in the ignition? I believe the door must be open for that, too.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 AM
HCF Member

I know to you can wire in a buzzer for the lights. It's a common mod and you can pick a really loud siren so she hears it.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Banned

Mine screams at me if I leave the lights on.