Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Heating problem

Old 07-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Default Heating problem

I've searched for a solution for my issue but have seen different answers, so i thought I'd ask you all.

If I turn on my AC on my 1997 Honda Civic should both my cooling fans come on..? Right now only the driver side comes on. The passenger-side one works but only comes on when idle. It doesn't seem to stay on for very long.

My engine seems to run hot when sitting idle. the temperature will start to rise after idling for a few minutes. I haven't seen how far it will go because I turn on my heater and the temp goes back down. Radiator is full .

Temp is normal while driving down the road.

The passenger side fan does come on but shouldn't it stay on while either idle or when you turn on the a/c????

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Heating problem-image.jpg  
Old 07-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It's two separate systems. The fan on the left cools the condenser when the A/C is running. The one on the right cools the radiator thus the engine.

Locate the fan switch on the thermostat housing. Unplug it and put a jumper wire in the holes of the plug. The radiator fan should now start immediately when you turn the key on and run constantly. If it does, test drive like that and if there is no overheating it means the switch is bad, not always turning the fan on when it should.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:09 PM

Excellent... Thank you for the reply... i'll run like that tomorrow and give my findings..