Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help '91 Cvic DX 4dr!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 11:26 PM
Default Help '91 Cvic DX 4dr!!!

Hey everyone I just want to say thanks in advanced for helping me out with this. I picked up a ’91 civic DX dr a while back. It has a JDM D15B with a L3 tranny swapped into it. After I had put a new clutch into it, it turned over fine. Then halfway home from the shop it just died. No loud noises, clunks, or random lights. Just died. It tries every time I turn the key but no avail. A little about the car; I’ve swapped in a few plugs around the engine bay, changed the fuel pump, and pulled the stereo. This was all done before the problem occurred and the car still ran fine. Since the problem I have put in a new ignition coil and rotor, checked all the fuses, the connectors for the plugs previously installed. I am fairly certain its still getting fuel but I haven’t checked yet. If someone can give me a quick and easy way to tell if its getting one, the other, or both that would be appreciated. Also I have checked the dash and the ECU and there are no codes, or lights going off. Thank you for your time and input everyone!

Also Ive been trying to think of a way broad spectrum way to fix this issue because I also dont have any dash lights period. So what about a new wire harness? Maybe?

Old 08-07-2014, 04:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If the oil and battery lights don't come on when the key is on but the engine is not turning, that usually means the key switch is bad. Try shifting to neutral, turn key to start, then while holding the key at start, let go of the clutch to disengage the starter. The engine may keep running but then die when you release the key, that means the key switch is bad.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:56 AM

Thanks. The engine and oil light come on and stay on, so I dont think thats the issue. Ill check that out for sure though thanks.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:51 PM
HCF Member

the oil light doesn't mean there's low oil it means there's low oil pressure and should not i repeat should not be running or major problems can occurre. do not run your car with the oil light on.