Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small Leak issue...But what part is it??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:17 AM
HCF Member
Default Small Leak issue...But what part is it??

Got a 92 Civic LX(auto) with 190,000 miles.

I was recently checking out my Civic & discovered a small leak coming from the passenger-side hose that connects the sleeve that's on the tie-rod to the Steering Gear house(I believe that's what it's called). What is this hose called? Here's a pic of it...sorry it's not very clear. But the blue shows the area I'm talking about...and the Yellow shows EXACTLY where the leak is coming from(I squeezed the Sleeve & a few bubbles came from there).

Also...How would I install this hose(on the gear box & sleeve)? It's not screwed on or anything. Is this the kind of hose you would just keep pushing in until you feel a small pop & feel it's secure?

Thank you in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Small Leak issue...But what part is it??-2011-04-16-13.50.05.jpg  
Old 04-16-2011, 11:43 AM
HCF Member

Ok after alittle more research I discovered it might be a seal or gasket leaking from the rack & pinion. But which seal is it? I checked out the gear box diagram & there's at least 10 seals. I'm trying NOT to replace the whole rack & pinion because I just got it over a year ago(Warranty just went out in March).

Any suggestions?

Old 04-16-2011, 12:12 PM
HCF Member

Eck...Nevermind...I'll just replace the Rack & Pinion. I saw how many O-rings & gasket come in a set and changed my mind.

I checked out a Youtube video of how to change the Rack & Pinion. Basically it said:

1. Remove both tie-rods,
2. Disconnect Exhaust Manifold from Cat.
3. Remove 3 hardline hoses(from above) from the gear house,
4. Disconnect Steering wheel connection from Rack(from inside).
5. Unbolt Rack & pinion from frame(4 bolts I believe).
6. Move it slightly to the(your left) passenger side & drop it.
7. Installing is in reverse.

Am I forgetting a step? What about Power steering fluid? Is there gonna be alot of that dripping when taking rack & pinion?

Old 04-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It's important not to get the steering wheel out of sync with the rack. If that happens, the clock spring aka cable reel (either way it's a $250 part...) will break. Point the front wheels all the way to one side and lock the steering wheel with the key before you start. Do not turn the steering wheel while not coupled to the rack. Set the new rack to the same way (all the way to the same side) before installing it.

Most of the power steering fluid will run out when you disconnect the lines. Refill only with new Honda or specifically Honda compatible fluid. The generic fluid for "most major brands" will ruin your seals.

Count how many turns it takes to unscrew the tie rod ends. Screw them onto the new rack with the same number of turns. This will get the wheel alignment close to where it was, but you need to go to a shop and have the toe-in checked after you are done.