Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

help head gasket again

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 11:02 PM
Default help head gasket again

Just changed the head gasket in my 1993 honda civic again for the second time in a month.

Background info i bought the car in july for $400 knowing it had a blown head gasket. I was told the water pump went bad they put a new pump and timing belt on but it was to late.

Put a new head gasket on yes i used the cheap ebay set.

Anyways at that time I took the head to the machine shop had it pressure tested cleaned and decked the shop removed 5/1000.

Went to the gas station left the car running while i went in when i came back out 20 mins later yes they were that slow the car had overheated I noticed that the radiator fan never kicked on (should have been running in an overheat situation when I walked out and it wasnt).

It hadnt even been 1000 miles so I said to heck w it pulled the head again, replaced the gasket and head bolts torqued it all down, reinstalled timing and dizzy, intake and exhaust manifolds. Unplugged dizzy ran compression check this afternoon on a weak battery came out at 180 172 172 180. Charged battery while gone at work came home ran compression again 180 178 180 180 very pleased with that result changed the oil changed the coolant (not bled yet), started the car up and it is blowing white smoke incredibly badly pulled the spark plugs none appear to be wet.

I dont think I could get compression numbers that close and high with a warped head and it started right up and idles at a smooth 650, but is smoking incredibly badly.

Did I instantly blow the new head gasket or what is the deal.

This morning was the first time I started it since the gasket blew and it smoked more than a smoldering fire in my wood stove (enough for yhe neighbor to notice without being anywhere close) its not smoking nearly as much as this morning but is still smoking alot.

Last edited by SigSaurP228; 08-21-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:16 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You could have a lot of water in the exhaust from when the gasket was bad that needs to clear out.

If it is indeed still leaking, put a pressure tester on the radiator with the engine off and find out where the coolant is going. It could be the intake manifold gasket or one of the parts on the manifold. Leaks there will cause coolant to get sucked into the engine and make steam smoke like it was the head gasket.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:41 AM

Well im still undecided the more I run it the more the smoke clears out but the engine oil still a milky white. However when i changed it last night it only drained about 1/2@ quart and I didnt change the filter last night either (I knew I was going to change the oil and filter again today as i knew everything in the engine is still contaminated. I filled the radiator back up still havent bled it out yet but I am only getting the occasional bubble in the radiator.

Ive been running it off and on for an hour or so today. The plugs are still dry and compression is still high and even

Old 08-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

A moderate to severe leaky head gasket will make lots of bubbles when you rev the engine with the radiator cap off. Coolant may even blow out, so it is best to do this test with the engine cold. If the radiator is staying calm with the engine cold, it should be safe to run for a while.