Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

HELP me help my coworker-Overheated and Thermostat housing broke?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Default HELP me help my coworker-Overheated and Thermostat housing broke?

Hi all

I have no experience with Honda, but my female co-workers 1994 Honda civic with a 4 cylinder just died. I went to pick her up and tried to diagnose.
She said there was steam coming from the hood and shhifter boot...YIKES
When I got there I found no pressure at all in the radiator hoses. Under a closer look I found what appears to be basically what looks like a thermostat housing(except no bulge like you usually see in a thermostat housing) broke off her block. It was hanging off 1 of the two bolts.
Its where the upper Therm. hose enters the block. Two bolts hold it on and the top bolt broke and so it could easily be pulled away. I could pull it away and see the broken bolt stud in her block.

Here are a could pics, anyone know what this thing is?

Attached Thumbnails HELP me help my coworker-Overheated and Thermostat housing broke?-img953522_resized.jpg   HELP me help my coworker-Overheated and Thermostat housing broke?-img953521_resized.jpg  
Old 06-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

That is the water outlet fitting. There's not supposed to be a thermostat inside. The thermostat on a Civic, like many Japanese cars, is actually in the lower radiator hose where it attaches to the back of the engine near the starter. The screw in the top of the fitting that looks like a brake bleeder is used to bleed the bubble of air out of the engine while refilling the system with coolant.

You would need to of course extract the broken bolt and reassemble it with new bolts. I think Honda used silicone (Hondabond) there instead of having a paper gasket.

Driving overheated until the car will go no more, if that's what she did, almost always means the engine is toast. In that case forget the water outlet and shop for a used engine.

Last edited by mk378; 06-14-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:15 AM

Awesome! Thanks so much!
I was thinking that might be the case since the fitting seemed too small for a thermostat.
I'm an American car guy, so its all Japanese to me
Now we will hope she was able to shut her down before any head warpage occurred