Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

help me please...im going crazy

Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 AM
HCF Member
Default help me please...im going crazy

1998 Honda Civic Ex coupe 5spd
CEL flashes..turn koeo cel comes on..goes out and comes right back on
pulled codes p0301,302,303,304,300,1399

car runs like poop off idle up to about 4500 rpm and it smooths out all the way to 6k..havent pulled it to redline..it sounds like its popping out of the exhaust. runs like nothings wrong if i shut it off and start it up a couple mins later...itll run great for aout 5 mins..itll also do this randomly while driving. im at my wits end..any questions you have i will answer as fast as possible.

Replaced
Plugs
Wires
Cap
Rotor
Ignition coil
Distributor
Throttle Body
Timing belt
Adjusted ignition timing and valve lash

Checked
all grounds...cleaned and put back on no change
Injectors..clicking and speed up all the same
intake gasket..sprayed it down with carb cleaner no change
tps sensor... .9k ohms closed 5.4k ohms wot
o2 sensor..volt check came out good
map sensor..resistance check was good

Old 12-20-2012, 08:45 AM
HCF Member

May i suggest do a compression check..

Old 12-20-2012, 09:25 AM
June 2010 ROTM

What was the event that caused this and/or when did this first start happening? Do you know anyone else with manual 96-00 EX that would let you borrow their ECU?

Old 12-20-2012, 12:54 PM
HCF Member

its been doing this since i bought the car..about 8 months ago..i have done a compression check and they were all about 185psi ...5psi variance between all four cylinders..the car sat for a little while when my ignition coil crapped out..but ive run a ton of new gas through it and did a fuel system cleaner(like the vacuum style one) ive also tried lucas injector cleaner as well..i dont know anyone i could swap ecus with...closest thing i can get(without buying one) is an eg p28 but i dont have a jumper harness for it

Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Have you checked/monitor your fuel pressure? Maybe something as simple as a clogged fuel pump.

Last edited by danomatic93; 12-20-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:55 PM
HCF Member

im going to do a fuel filter soon..when i was testing random sensors and such i tried to get a voltage signal from my map sensor and i wasnt registering a signal on my meter..could that possibly be the problem..its voltage changed sllightly but not like it should have

Old 12-20-2012, 08:35 PM
HCF Member

My first guess would have been the throttle position sensor, but as you've replaced the throttle body, that shouldn't be the case.

I'm assuming your car has the Y8 in it? They are known for the HG to leak between the cylinder wall and water jacket after 200,000km or so. The reason I say this is, when my y8 HG was going, compression checked out fine and everything, but it was filling the rad overflow whenever I got hard on it. When there was less coolant in the system, it would sorta "burp" when taking off or in low RPM.

Your coolant overflow should never go past the full line. It's one more thing to eliminate.

They do some fancy chemical test to check for exhaust gasses in the coolant if this is the case. One of the few ways to check. Worth a shot!

Old 12-21-2012, 05:30 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by zerojett
My first guess would have been the throttle position sensor, but as you've replaced the throttle body, that shouldn't be the case.

I'm assuming your car has the Y8 in it? They are known for the HG to leak between the cylinder wall and water jacket after 200,000km or so. The reason I say this is, when my y8 HG was going, compression checked out fine and everything, but it was filling the rad overflow whenever I got hard on it. When there was less coolant in the system, it would sorta "burp" when taking off or in low RPM.

Your coolant overflow should never go past the full line. It's one more thing to eliminate.

They do some fancy chemical test to check for exhaust gasses in the coolant if this is the case. One of the few ways to check. Worth a shot!
when i checked the throttle position sensor...i took it off and did a resistance check these were my readings

closed .9-1.0k ohms
slowly opening gradually moved it from 1k-4.9k ohms
wot 4.9k-5k ohms

voltage check with a back probe

closed .49v
slowly opening .5-4.5v
wot 4.5v

when i had the timing belt done...my boss did the chemical check from my coolant to see if my head gasket was blown..the fluid in the tester didnt change a shade different so i know its not leaking..im losing a lil coolant but i suspect the broken bolt in my thermostat housing is causing that..and im not overheating..i do notice it takes forever for it to warm up sometimes..like th other day i was out for over an hour before my temp gauge creeped past the cold mark on the dash...other days itll warm up within a few mins..i checked the ECT sesnsor...and resistance changed like it should

Old 12-21-2012, 05:35 AM
HCF Member

and yes my car has the d16y8 in it...272k miles on it..it looks like the previous owner had the head cleaned and all new top end gaskets...im going to replace my IM gasket anyway because the one in it is paper and the one i bought from felpro looks like its made of metal lol or some sort of coating on it..its hard to explain

Old 12-21-2012, 06:13 AM
June 2010 ROTM

Not your main issue, but by what you described it sounds like your thermostat is getting stuck open... ...better that than being stuck closed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help me please...im going crazy