Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help!! My 1991 Civic just cranks but wont start:(

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Unhappy Help!! My 1991 Civic just cranks but wont start:(

i bought this car a little over three months ago and its been running fine since. but two weeks ago we had a couple of inches of snow here and i got stuck in ruts of ice. i tried and tried to get it out but it was a no go then after the snow melted i went to try and start it and it just cranked but never started so after pushing it into the garage and checking everything i changed the Dizzy plugs cap rotor and wires and it fired right up. i let it run for about half an hour and turned it back off and came out two hours later for work and it was doing the same thing yet again. after pushing it back into the garage. i went through and checked all of the connection and fuses (everything was good) battery is holding charge and everything is all timed up and the CEL doesnt turn on except for when you crank (as it should) and it is getting gas so im at a complete loss as to what to do next. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:19 PM
HCF Member

check for voltage at the igniter and check your coil. other than that I have no idea and only could recommend taking it to a shop. Mine did a similar thing. and it turned out to be the coil.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:48 PM

the distributor i bought came with a new coil and all that and everythings got voltage to it but i plan on taking it to honda sometime this week

Old 01-10-2011, 01:12 PM
HCF Member

hey is it giving any codes when its running

Old 01-10-2011, 01:19 PM

no when i put the key into position II it just blinks once and thats it

Old 01-11-2011, 07:28 AM
HCF Member

hmm well it might have something to do with you ignition

Old 01-11-2011, 08:44 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by GrantsCivic
hmm well it might have something to do with you ignition
Hmm. Well He's getting power to the starter and from the ignition. So an issue with the igniter maybe? wouldn't hurt to check.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:51 PM

if you think its the ignition why dont you disable the fuel pump then pull one spark plug and check if your getting spark. if you are then nothing is wrong with your ignition.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:43 PM
HCF Member

ur going to want to take your igniter to autozone and have em hook it up to their diagnostic machine to see if it works. ive tested multiple igniters but if it seems like a pain in the *** just try what link said. and usually when the ignition coil goes bad, the igniter usually dies along with it. correct me if im wrong people but everytime ive had to change my coil bastard still dont start until i change the igniter. and heres a tutorial you can use to check your distributor "yes your is going to look different but thats just a 92-95 dist. go to http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ICM-Input-Test to see how to remove the igniter, then take it to autozone and have em test it, they can also do the multimeter test. and if your igniter PASSES, go home, reinstall everything, plug one spark plug wire into the end of the distributor then shove a old spark plug in the engine side of it, get a jumper cable, CLAMP THE BODY OF THE SPARK PLUG and clamp the other side to a good ground source, have someone crank it and see if you see a spark, if u get no spark or a dull yellow one the coils bad, if you get a good bright blue spark its good, just dont touch nothing metal around the spark plug or the spark plug handles for that matter, ive had it bite me before and it sucked LOL. imma go pass out and ill check back tomorrow to see how things went for ya. good luck to ya

Old 01-12-2011, 08:21 AM
HCF Member

when I had to change my coil I just changed the igniter along with it also, not sure if it needed it or not. I didn't check. I just did it haha. If you have a Hanes manual it tells you how to check for voltage at the igniter in the Distributor. Chilton probably does too but idk. I have a Hanes one.

Quick Reply: Help!! My 1991 Civic just cranks but wont start:(