Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

HELP. No hot or cold air comes when I twist tempature dials in 02 civic

Old 09-22-2014, 09:34 AM
Default HELP. No hot or cold air comes when I twist tempature dials in 02 civic

Like the title says, when I twist the dials nothing happens. When I hit the ac button, I can hear the compressor kick on like its supposed to then turn off because there's skmethjg wrong. I checked the fuses and everything is ok. What's going on?

Old 09-22-2014, 01:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Turn the key on but don't start the engine. Turn the fan to 1 (yes it won't run but you want the switch on) and then move the air selector dial between heat, defrost, etc, and listen closely for a little motor running behind the dash. It should run for a few seconds each time you change the selection and then stop. There is also another motor for fresh air vs recirculated. If they don't do anything, the control panel is probably bad. There is a way for a more advanced self-test of the control panel in the service manual.

If that works, find the blower motor under the dash on the far right side. There is a two-wire plug. With key on and fan dial on high, and the motor still plugged in, measure the voltage from each wire to ground.

Zero volts on both -- bad fuse or relay. I think they are under the hood.
12 volts on one, zero on the other -- bad fan motor.
12 volts on both -- bad power transistor or control panel (almost certainly the transistor if the selector motors work).