Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

help. used wrong ps fluid. damage??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Default help. used wrong ps fluid. damage??

My 95 honda civic dx power steering is not working right now. Boyfriend told me the ps fluid was getting low like a month or more ago and used just regular ps fluid to fill to line. Well like 2 weeks ago it started making roaring and whining sounds and getting harder to turn the wheel. We then added a full deal of Bar's Leaks Power Steering Repair and that seemed to of messed it up more than helped. Took the ps pump off and it wasn't pumping anything so bought a used one that worked and put it on. Then blew out all the lines with air hose to try to get old fluid out. Put Honda ps fluid in and worked great for two days. After that it just started pumping fluid out the top of reservoir with cap on when the wheel was being turned. unhooked all the lines again and blew air another time. Again the ps steering worked but only for a few secs before it quit and started overflowing out of reservoir again.

**Ordered O rings that goes to lines and going to change those.
**Going to possibly rebuild ps pump, but the pump itself works. with top line unhooked it shoots fluid straight out of it.
**Checked reservoir to be sure it wasn't stopped up. Fluids flow out of it like normal.
**Don't know how to check if rack and pinion is fine or not but there are no leaks.
Posted the same question but got no answers. Would really like to get my car fixed without just throwing parts at it and spending lots of money.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:25 PM
HCF Member

I would say it probably wasn't the fluid that damaged anything. The whole power steering system in Hondas is sensitive but if you had to add another fluid because you didn't have Honda power steering fluid. The system is able to run off non Honda power steering fluid for a time being but you should replace it with Honda power steering fluid as soon as possible. It sounds to me like there is more of a problem with your power steering system. As for what the problem is. You obviously replaced the pump and the problem continued.the only thing that's left is the rack and pinion.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:34 AM
HCF Member

I also should of been more clear but as long as you use a fluid compatible with honda power steering fluid you will be just fine.