Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

High pitched, quiet whine

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Exclamation High pitched, quiet whine

Hi Guys,

Just looking for ideas here. I have a quiet, high-pitched whine that only occurs while decelerating (0% throttle, with or without brake applied) and above about 35mph; below 35, I can't hear it. The noise pitch is correlated with road speed, not engine speed. The noise is similar to what a jet engine sounds like while it is winding down after having the power cut, just much quieter.

Any ideas are appreciated, thanks.

--Pete

Old 07-26-2014, 05:43 PM
HCF Member

sounds like your classic alternator whine. have you induced any added power consumption like a after market sound system ???

Old 07-27-2014, 07:15 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by itburnswhenIP
sounds like your classic alternator whine. have you induced any added power consumption like a after market sound system ???
It's possible I have the same probelem, I've got a high pitched whine coming from the belt area but my belts are looking quite sorry for themselves so it could also be belt slip gonna replace them see if it solves the problem if not how would I go about solving alternator whine I've only got Pioneer speakers all round (but they might be standard they look it) and an aftermarket kenwood head unit (which looks like the first CD player they ever made haha) any help appreciated